myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Regripping deck?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use salt instead of sugar. I like the grit, and it doesn't attract ants ;*)

-Craig

Bluejaytoo wrote:
maxdownhaul wrote:
Tape around the area you want to regrip then using a foam roller apply a thin coat of epoxy resin, then sprinkle over it with caster sugar and lightly roll it out for an even finish. Once it has dried hose the board down to dissolve the sugar. It is a good grip that wont make your ankles bleed.

I have done this; it's a great low-budget solution!
isobras

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better ants than horses and cattle.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't the epoxy yellow over time with sun exposure?

In the late 80s when most of my boards were made from polyester resin, like Craig, I used salt instead of sugar. It's much cheaper, and there's no good reason to attract ants.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Won't the epoxy yellow over time with sun exposure?

In the late 80s when most of my boards were made from polyester resin, like Craig, I used salt instead of sugar. It's much cheaper, and there's no good reason to attract ants.

I definitely don't want it to yellow!!!

EDIT: If you clear coat the epoxy after removing the sugar wouldn't that prevent it from yellowing?
isobras

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normal, resin/sand/salt/dust non-skid is fine for people with arches in their feet, but we platypusses hydroplane on that stuff. When I plant my flat-as-a-boiled pancake flippers on a wet deck, even a 20-grit carbide deck, I often skate right off. Thus the waffle pads, with comfort and deck and joint protection as bonuses. No more (well, far fewer) collapsed decks, no broken heels, no hydroplaning, no exposed flesh or bones in my lower extremities, and the feel of a living room carpet rather than a bed of nails.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobras wrote:
Normal, resin/sand/salt/dust non-skid is fine for people with arches in their feet, but we platypusses hydroplane on that stuff. When I plant my flat-as-a-boiled pancake flippers on a wet deck, even a 20-grit carbide deck, I often skate right off. Thus the waffle pads, with comfort and deck and joint protection as bonuses. No more (well, far fewer) collapsed decks, no broken heels, no hydroplaning, no exposed flesh or bones in my lower extremities, and the feel of a living room carpet rather than a bed of nails.

I tried looking for the NSI stuff but ended up finding grip tape on the site. I might just try that on an old board to see how it goes. Anytime I have to "paint" something on a board it just goes bad even though I managed to repaint my hifly bright red Very Happy
isobras

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used 3M Safety Walk tape on low-traffic parts of the deck, such as forward of the front straps. I scrape off any remaining deck grit and seal the edges with a TINY bead of clear caulk, and it holds up well enough.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, there are probably more ants in my back yard than cattle
(or horses).

-Craig

isobras wrote:
Better ants than horses and cattle.
WutUpWitU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long as you are talking to NSI tell them you want the Monster Paint non skid. it sprays on easy and works better than redeck.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did redeck and found that it got more slippery than it was before.

I applied the salt post application too. Apparently where i went wrong was not applying the salt quick enough. I applied redeck to the board went and grabbed my salt but it was already too dry and the salt did not seem to stick.

Delta windsurf recommended that it should be a two person job. One person roll and the other sprinkle the salt right after. I have a feeling if i had of done it this way it would have come out better.

Delta also mentioned that for $100 their board repair guy can put a factory non stick back on your board. Which apparently comes out much better than redeck

Currently trying the wax option which improved the situation. However, it is getting dirty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: