myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
3 Mile Canyon today?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bad_dolphin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: 3 Mile Canyon today? Reply with quote

Can anybody chime in on what 3 Mile is likely to do today? It's already 22 19-25 at Arlington, and wind is predicted for the East. We've never sailed there and are thinking of making the trek. Thanks!
windfind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a sensor at 3 mile at the north end of the island (Loroc Island). Just use your regular user name and password. Currently at 10AM 3 mile avg. is 18 knots.

Mike Godsey

weatherflow.com
windalert.com
iwindsurf.com
ikitesurf.com
sailflow.com
fishweather.com
USAfishing.com
windnotes.phanfare.com/

ZZ63A63ADC.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  106.62 KB
 Viewed:  13134 Time(s)

ZZ63A63ADC.jpg

bad_dolphin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect Mike--thanks!
bad_dolphin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now 24, 21-28 at 10:45. We're on the way!
scottwerden

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, several nice posts from the iW forecasters recently on their tradecraft, but tell me this - how come every time it blows like stink I have meetings I cannot get out of at work??? Now that has got to be the work of evil forces like certain political parties I will refrain from mentioning here. Or maybe it is just my boss getting back at me and he has an "in" with the wind gods. Anyway, predict that for me iWindsurf oracles of the wind. Can't you muster up some wind when I don't have to work, godammit?
jota

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottwerden wrote:
but tell me this - how come every time it blows like stink I have meetings I cannot get out of at work??? . . . Can't you muster up some wind when I don't have to work, godammit?

Scott - can you just let the rest of us know in advance when you have meetings you can't get out of at work? Then we can clear our own schedules for the big days on the water. Thanks, really appreciate your help on this.

Twisted Evil Laughing
windfind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gang,

I was in a rush to get the AM session at The Wall when I posted the information about sensor at 3 mile at the north end of the island (Loroc Island). So I neglected give the web site with the new sensors.

You can find this sensor at our new web site. windalert.com. This web site was very slow last year but the IT guys have really sped it up this year.

Once there just type in the nearest town for a map of the area. You can zoom or drag the map show it shows your perfect view. Then use the menu under Observations and Map Type to select a Terrain map. This really helps you visualize the impact of topography on the wind quality. Also look at near by free sensors on hill tops to get a feeling for what the wind just aloft is doing. Eg. if the hills near The Wall are showing NW wind consider going to Rufus instead of The Wall.

The satellite view is also interesting.

Why a new windalert.com web site? The code behind the iwindsurf.com is ancient. Adding new sensors to the fixed maps has to be done laboriously by hand. And if I map has to be enlarged all the graphics have to be done by hand. Since we now cover wind for the entire world it would take a staff of hundreds to add all the sensors. With wind alert.com we just enter the lat. and long. and the sensor appears on the map. Plus users can make custom make the map size and zoom range on the fly. The old way was for someone like me going into Adobe Illustrator and spending a lot of time making a new map.

Mike Godsey

weatherflow.com
windalert.com
iwindsurf.com
ikitesurf.com
sailflow.com
fishweather.com
USAfishing.com
windnotes.phanfare.com/
30knotwind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
I have tried Windalert but have found the navigation difficult, e.g. is there a way to create a page similar to myIW like the example below that sorts my favorites by wind strength? Also, I know it doesn't work on Blackberry, I have not tried it on my new Android.

8-24-2012 9-09-41 AM.png
 Description:
custom list of windsurfing sites
 Filesize:  93.11 KB
 Viewed:  12801 Time(s)

8-24-2012 9-09-41 AM.png

windfind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 30knotwind,

I agree that currently the windalert.com web site has a user interface makes it confusing the first time around to set up a page like your myIW.

But since you have an Android phone (or even easier on an iPhone) just download our free windalert app for Android. Then just select your favorite sites OR you can just let's the phone select the sites nearest your current location even when you are driving. It will present them as a list with a small wind graph of each site. (see example below)

This is MUCH faster than loading a web page on your phone. Once you have done this you can set up custom alerts for the wind threshold for each site so you will know when a site reaches your threshold AND if it fades while you are driving there.

Mike Godsey

ZZ62B8F5AC.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  207.11 KB
 Viewed:  12781 Time(s)

ZZ62B8F5AC.jpg

30knotwind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it sort by windspeed? that is what I like about the myIW page.
Thanks,
Chris

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: