myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Race Jibe Entry: Footwork
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
feuser

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:
Florian, LeeD has it correct. It's the brief release of pressure through sheeting out that pins your foot. Part of the reason you might experience this despite your very high skill level is the jibe setup. It's kinda old news at this point, but we truly must reach back farther on the boom than is apparent when we first consider reaching back as a way to progress into high speed jibes.
Finally, a step jibe is a moment after what could have been a clew-first jibe. Back foot pressure decreases as you turn farther downwind but the challenge is to balance the timing and forces so that you neither get launched because you waited too long nor go straight because you didn't wait long enough.

Try to execute a clew-first jibe, just don't force the clew. You will find that the release of the clew will help synthesize your understanding of how rig pressure affects foot pressure during the jibe. Once the sail is released you will feel your back foot pressured but the trick is to begin to feel your front foot get the grease by opening and pushing your windward hip forward as the sail flips.

Don't sail the back foot in most cases. Try to feel the pressure on the front during turns.

Hi Dan

Thanks for the pointers. I think I am consciously doing most of what you are describing, although I am not 100% certain about what you call the "clew first" jibe.

My most wobbly moment is, as I mentioned, taking the back foot out of the strap at full power. The carve and sail handling seem pretty natural and I've been doing clew first jibe exits ("early" step jibes) on my wave gear consciously, to get used to the sequence and timing of race jibes (I learned jibing short boards almost 30 years ago as a kid, so I am sure I've accumulated plenty of bad habits, haha).

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
NickB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, check out this comment from Wyatt Miller on the SouthWestUSA forum, discussing his jibing clinic (which I hope to take one day):

Quote:
Also one of the biggest issues we worked on yesterday was people not getting low enough in their jibes, or hitting chop and standing up straight causing the board to stop carving. "Getting Low" really helps you absorb the chop and keep the rail in the water and keeps you away from those harness lines. Not to mention the fact that as soon as you stand up straight in a jibe your front heel drops to the pad and you stop giving that all important front foot pressure.

The key seems to be to get low Cool
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why you find the moment of taking the backfoot out any problem.
Basically, you sheet in to dump power with a quick pump if you're overpowered, then slide hand back to sheet in AS you take backfoot out and place it on the leeward rail. The moment the rear foot touches the board, the board heads downwind, already lessening the wind pull on the sail.
On Formula, most sailors have to pull UPWARDS on the front straps to keep the leeward rail buried.
When is it unstable?
Oh, sorry, it's unstable when you don't PLAN your jibe to flow with the chop and windswell.
feuser

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Not sure why you find the moment of taking the backfoot out any problem.
Basically, you sheet in to dump power with a quick pump if you're overpowered, then slide hand back to sheet in AS you take backfoot out and place it on the leeward rail. The moment the rear foot touches the board, the board heads downwind, already lessening the wind pull on the sail.
On Formula, most sailors have to pull UPWARDS on the front straps to keep the leeward rail buried.
When is it unstable?
Oh, sorry, it's unstable when you don't PLAN your jibe to flow with the chop and windswell.

Yes, I didn't ever think I'd have that problem, either, before jibing a 75cm wide board under a powered 8.5m around a marker buoy (not with the flow of chop & wind swell) Wink

Seriously, thanks for the input. I'll try oversheeting on the backside of the pump motion to dump pressure on the back foot. I might also have to tighten the straps in order to get the foot out quicker.

dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tip to wiggle your front foot out a bit before entry is a very good one, another step to remember.
And EVERY jibe needs a glance forward and downwind to find smooth entry, and a quick glance upwind to see if a hole or a gust is coming down.
Setup is most important in all jibes.
feuser

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickB wrote:

The key seems to be to get low Cool

teehee

fxop

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two instructors have told me that they use the front strap to counterbalance the pull of the sail. They said they get pulled up onto the balls of the front foot. The only time I ever had this sensation was just prior to being launched.

I know that moving the front foot up onto the balls magically helps the board track -- I always thought it put more pressure on the back foot thus keeping the rail engaged. I thought it was a sign of commitment to the back foot, nothing else. Plus it gets the front foot ready for the switch.

Formula racers "pull up" with the front foot? The back foot alone can't get enough leverage to carve a wide board? (never sailed one . . .)

Would anyone care to elaborate on the role of the front foot, are you pulled up onto the balls of the foot, are you using it to stabilize the board, how do you carve with the front foot? As it relates to regular B&J sailing . . .
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the board is narrow enough, like 50cm, we can carve with both feet.
If the board is 100cm, we carve with the backfoot, and lift to hold the board on it's rail with the front foot.
Carving with both feet on narrow boards is possible because the front foot it also on the leeward side of the board, while the backfoot is clearly there, allowing both feet to bank the board.
Carving with both feet on wide boards is impossible because mankind is not heavy enough to hold the rail down on wide boards (formula wide), so lifting the front foot is needed to keep the board tipped on it's rails.
capetonian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
An interesting take on the subject:
http://www.guycribb.com/userfiles/documents/Slalom-%20gybe.pdf

I couldn't imagine doing a laydown jibe like that with an 8.5. Should I be?
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of guys doing laydown jibes, duck jibes, and duck tacks on Formula boards and 10 meter sails.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: