myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
PM Winds at Rowena/Dougs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike that explains alot. I hope I didn't come across as being down on the forecasters cause I think you guys and gals do a great job. But the accuracy lately hasn't been as good and I was wondering why. The moisture information was interesting and helps me understand it. Hopefully next year will be more "normal" and make life easier on all of us Smile
Windsurf83

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lit last night from 6-8pm on a 3.5 at Rowena

BAM!
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: TUBES at Doug's yesterday! Reply with quote

Yesterday afternoon was memorable with extraordinary tubes and swells between Rowena and Doug's. I was off the water at 7pm, and it was still blowing hard. So much fun to surf swells with NO KITERS, SUPS, kayakers, etc. in the way!!! What a JOY. Razz

EVERYBODY GO TO THE HATCHERY!
windfind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shreddbob said: I'm wondering if a website like this Plymouth State one offers any "real" value. Is its apparent ability to be so detailed useful, or is it merely parsing down on a broad loosely accurate set of models/observations and of no real benefit?

That page uses the WXP tool developed at Purdue University enhanced by Unisys. It is a great tool for generating NOW casts or BackCasts of near-realtime and archived meteorological data. But it will not help in forecasting hours in advance since it only shows current data. But you can learn from it to help understand what patterns generate good wind.

Mike Godsey
isobras

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: TUBES at Doug's yesterday! Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:

And, I might add, THE SUN RISES IN THE EAST. Wink
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: TUBES at Doug's yesterday! Reply with quote

isobras wrote:
biffmalibu wrote:

And, I might add, THE SUN RISES IN THE EAST. Wink

And, I might add, THE SUN SETS IN THE WEST. Rolling Eyes
scottwerden

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: PM Winds at Rowena/Dougs Reply with quote

isobras wrote:
scottwerden wrote:
it is a certainty that global warming will change climate ...

As does global cooling, as well as flat global temps, as do ocean currents, ...

True, true, but over the last 130 years the earth has warmed by 1.5 degrees. When we see a 130 year trend on global cooling we can have a discussion about how it might affect the wind.
bad_dolphin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Thanks, Mike G. Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike, for your usual clear insight. In the notoriously difficult field of meteorology, it's amazing how often you hit it right. Fun to get a "peek behind the curtain" and a better understanding of what's going on locally.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: