myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
AC45's on San Francisco Bay, Sat. 8/18
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week's AC event info is posted here:
http://www.americascup.com/en/events/ac-world-series-2012-2013/san-francisco-us-aug-21-aug-26

There's a "watch on TV" tab with the live broadcasts Thu-Sun. Should be fun!
andydavis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goinoff wrote:
When the big boats hit the water there is going to be epic crashes. Will be awesome to watch them in action..Would hate to be in the back like the guy in the pic above when it pitch-poles..

The AC 72's are not simple geometrical scales of the AC 45, and won't be as subject to pitch poling as these are. In fact, very little design effort has gone into the smaller boats; however, the intention was to make a class that was inherently somewhat unstable. The organizers didn't want to recapitulate AC 33 (two gigantic multihulls sailing out of sight of land), which was hugely expensive and got them basically no revenue. They want something more like Formula race cars, with well matched, somewhat unstable vehicles, on a closed course, driven by handsome foreigners. If some Kiwi gets his neck busted in the process, then oh well...that's the price of good teevee.
NickB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A picture being worth a thousand words, this is how different they are in size:

TV-wise, I caught some of the Venice and Newport races a couple of months back, and even in low-wind it was fun to watch those AC45s... should definitely be a great spectacle in our Bay!
damel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if you can park your car at Crissy overnight. I live nearby and was planning to just park my car there the night before or ridiculously early in the morning with my gear (windsurfing and BBQ) in it.

Yea the 72 will be ridiculous. While the 45s seem reasonably practical at all the venues so far but it seems like the bay will be a humbling experience for most of the sailors.

rigatoni

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't park there overnight but shouldn't be an issue parking there during the week. I showed up at 5pm to sail (BTW-great windsurfing conditions) and you couldn't tell anything was going on other than some additional trash bins.
soheilzahedi5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rig-A!

Pack yer trash...
damel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigatoni wrote:
You can't park there overnight but shouldn't be an issue parking there during the week. I showed up at 5pm to sail (BTW-great windsurfing conditions) and you couldn't tell anything was going on other than some additional trash bins.

The event doesn't really start until today and I am guessing this weekend will be a different story but it sounds like parking my car there early and walking home is a safe bet.

Sailing has been really good even as the season winds down. Wish there was going to be a strong ebb for the AC boats while they are racing this weekend.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: