myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How Did You Get Your Stoke Learning?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outcast

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot GF...she went to the med school in Grenada.....went to visit her....old Wayler with teak booms on the beach....self taught with some Rasta's help.
Sailed while she was in classes.

Got hooked....and bought a Div 2 board. As I had no clue, tried to make it work in the ocean for a few months till i got wiser

WaterKook

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1985 summer after graduating from High School I sold my Honda ATC 200X to buy my first board. Wayler Chipper. That fall I picked up a Mistral Tarifa 140L 10'10" The guy who sold it to me said " I hope you have your water starts down". Like it was too small to up haul. Next spring I picked up a Windsurfer Rocket 96. From NH Hobie Cat.

Used it in Chatham in June 1986 at Andrew Hardings Lane Summer before the break in front of the light house.
Here is my car loaded up with my boards in Harwich. 1986 the stoke lives on!!! 27 years now Laughing

shreddbob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember those Windsurfer Rocket boards Very Happy I borrowed a Rocket 99 at the Berkley Marina in SF in September 1985. Somehow I'd manage to uphaul it for a split second, enough to take off on some fast rides--much faster than my Red Marlin (double concave shape) longboard I'd been on at home all summer. Of course I had to swap to a bigger board after ending up downwind, as I had no clue on how to go upwind on that thing with no daggerboard.

Then my jaw literally dropped when I saw the action by the Golden Gate. I was just sight seeing and didn't expect to see that. Wow! From atop the bluff at Presidio they looked like water bugs streaking across the Bay. It didn't even register that those were windsurfers for a minute. I wended my way to Crissy and it was amazing to see the skill of those guys.

Returning home in October I bought a Cobra 290 short board from Buzzards Bay Sailboards and a couple of sails. I transported that board everywhere, waiting for wind, and would swim around with it trying to get good at waterstarts. The lure of good wind would inevitably get me back on my Red Marlin until I gained enough confidence to be a short board sailor. Finally, a year later I was good enough. The sport was progressing so fast back then. Even one year was enough to have your stuff be outclassed. Sails, fins, hull shapes were all rapidly changing. Today is so much better with the mature gear. But the "new sport feel" of the 1980's sure was exciting! Here are some photos of the "state of the art" in 1985.

Cobra 290.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  168.72 KB
 Viewed:  17434 Time(s)

Cobra 290.jpeg

Freedom Sobstad RAF, Gaastra SpeedSlalom Cambered .jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  229.24 KB
 Viewed:  17434 Time(s)

Freedom Sobstad RAF, Gaastra SpeedSlalom Cambered .jpeg

justall

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I like most about the picture of your car, Evans, is there are no doors! That is awesome! Was that to compensate for the weight of the boards? Too funny.
WaterKook

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my buddies had a jeep with no doors. So it got me thinking. I called the Harwich police dept. and asked them if I needed doors on my car. They said no so within 15 minutes we had the doors off. It was cool until it started raining!!! We had a really fun two weeks here on the Cape in 1986. Laughing Wink
Hey that Cobra looks sweet!!! I would love to sail that today.

shreddbob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evans wrote:

Hey that Cobra looks sweet!!! I would love to sail that today.

It had an opalescent paint that looked very cool. This one was a pure slalom blaster. A few years later I picked up a used Cobra 260 with a slight wave rocker that was so smooth!
flaherty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1984 Took a lesson, Hopkinton state park. A girl was giving lessons at night. Hopped on and went across to the other side, not planning, of course, made it back too. Sold my kawasaki 400 motorcycle, and bought a Bic Dufor wing.
Still stoked as ever. My girlfriend comments that she wished she had the passion for something as much as I do windsurfing. But it has it's downside , too. Skunked memories galore! As well as pissing off loved ones and bosses.
I wouldn't trade it for anything, though.
jkrouwer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first went windsurfing in 1980 at Club Med in Haiti. I was hooked instantly - not sure why cause I don’t particularly like being in the water. Windsurfing was limited to vacations until 1985 when I moved to Boston and bought my own gear (HiFly something) including a roof rack for my Toronado. Flopped around Farm Pond in Sherborn for a summer and once had to perform a self rescue in 15-20 knots so it was time for a lesson. I was signed up with Peter Underwood of Buzzard’s Bay Sailboards in Marion but as we sailed out a ways, he took off and ditched me. I remember it was a great feeling the first time I mastered a water start. I’m still addicted and learning – out of 20 jibes, maybe I do one perfectly, fall three times and the others are changing direction without falling.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkrouwer wrote:
I was signed up with Peter Underwood of Buzzard’s Bay Sailboards in Marion but as we sailed out a ways, he took off and ditched me.

Same guy promised me waterstart lessons at Ned's after I bought all that gear from him. The wind seemed to affect his memory Rolling Eyes ...though I suppose I may have been guilty of ditching my wife temporarily a few times on the inside at Ned's. "But honey, you were doing so well when I last saw you".
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shreddbob wrote:

The sport was progressing so fast back then. Even one year was enough to have your stuff be outclassed. Sails, fins, hull shapes were all rapidly changing. Today is so much better with the mature gear. But the "new sport feel" of the 1980's sure was exciting! Here are some photos of the "state of the art" in 1985.

I was on the leading edge of developing those sails. Working at Hood Sailmakers in 83'-84', I built the first RAF with battens in the foot! We had just got informed of developments from the Hood Hawaii team, learning what they had just seen with Barry Spannier at Maui Sails had done the day before! Developments were THAT fast!

Next month..cambers!

I enjoyed that time in my life so much. JBD Sails were next in 85' and I hit the road to the Gorge for what was only the 2nd year of that scene. Developments in boards & sails were moving so fast that I had a new rig every month!
I hooked up with Joe Bauguess board shaper from HI, and got into some sweet rides.
"Flexi-Tip" mast/sail never really caught on.... that design is still in hibernation waiting for a calling .... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: