myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Paddleboard/Windsurf Crossover?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hwork

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Paddleboard/Windsurf Crossover? Reply with quote

So I'm a longtime whitewater kayaker from the DC area, but I'm looking for a new water sport challenge to learn with my wife. I've been windsurfing several times on rented and borrowed boards, and love it, but I don't see many people doing it in the dc area. One thing I do see a lot of though is standup paddle-boarding. In looking around online for gear, I've found a number of boards that list themselves as paddle-board/sailboard crossovers... does anyone have any experience with these?

It would be ideal for me, because of the added utility of being able to take it out right here on the potomac river with or without good wind conditions, but also I'd be able to use it for windsurfing when I visit family in the Finger Lakes area of upstate NY.

Is this sound thinking? If so what size should I look for? (i'm 6'2" 190 lbs, and my wife is 5'7" 120 lbs)
jse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I would think about getting two, so you and your wife don't have to take turns paddling it. But that's a different issue. Many SUP's have either a track or one or two threaded holes to attach a windsurfing universal to. Most of the SUP only manufacturers don't have this. Most of the Windsurfing manufacturers offer it. I would stick to a windsurf company for this, as you don't want someone who adds it as an add-on, or does so without the knowledge of the stresses involved. Think Naish, Fanatic, RRD, Starboard, etc... I have a Fanatic Fly 10'6" that I sail all the time, and it's nice to paddle too. I can take my dog on it. Hardly ever fall in paddling. I weigh 170. For your weight, I wouldn't go much bigger than that, but you should try paddling it before buying. Sailing a small SUP won't be a problem, but you don't want a board that is really difficult to paddle, unless you are going to ride it in waves.

Sailing these things is a kick in the ass, I love to sail mine in light wind. It gives me an ultra stable platform for learning sail tricks, that I can later apply to a short board. It's also really easy to learn on for a rank beginner.

Steve
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife doesn't sail so we got her a 10'6"Surf-Tec soft SUP and me a 11'6" 180 ltr RRD LongRider. It's not bad as a SUP but when it gets a little windy its a blast. Its fast and will give you long, wide arched planing jibes if you're patient. Our pup likes it too as the entire deck has got the rubber coating on it so he doesn't slip. I started with a Bic Jungle and hated it as a windsurfer. It flat will not plane.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any SUP with a mast track can be windsurfed, but it takes a few more features for a crossover to be truly capable as a windsurfer.

1. It needs to have a removable daggerboard or centerboard of some sort to effectively hold its heading against the wind.
2. It needs to have a tail shape that will allow it to plane efficiently.
3. Ideally, it should have footstraps for control when sailing at high speeds (planing).

The RRD Longrider has all those features, but it's a bit narrow and tippy for SUP use.

Probably the best crossover on the market for a guy your size is the Exocet WindSUP 11'8".

I recently made a blog post about this exact topic:
http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2012/07/big-boards-that-do-it-all.html

Good luck,
James

noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tippy? Oh man, I feel like I can dance on this thing! But then again I've been windsurfing short boards for 25 years. The big difference I've noticed about SUPing and Sailing is what a workout for different muscles in my feet it is. I have very flat feet and and I start feeling "the burn" after a couple hundred yards when I'm paddling. My wife thought I was nuts when I told her this as I've spent half my life windsurfing. Has anybody else experienced this?
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I feel the same burn. I never felt it while windsurfing since I don't use my feet as much to stay balanced.

I feel a similar burn when group training and doing something on a single leg for many reps, like kicking or raising the knee, without getting the kicking leg back on the ground. It goes away after a few sessions.
hwork

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thanks! that's a lot of good information. Now for the tricky part... does anyone know where i could demo and possibly buy one of these in the DC/Baltimore area?
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d0uglass wrote:

Probably the best crossover on the market for a guy your size is the Exocet WindSUP 11'8".

anyone have a chance to try the Windsup 10 ?
I'd be interested to hear thoughts on this size.
justall

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hwork wrote:
wow thanks! that's a lot of good information. Now for the tricky part... does anyone know where i could demo and possibly buy one of these in the DC/Baltimore area?

I believe Ultimate Watersports (I may not have the name right) rents SUPs at Gunpowder State Park (north of Baltimore). You can probably call them to see if they have a version of something you are looking to trial.

As far as windsurfing ... keep checking the Eastern forum here on iwindsurf ... A few of us post when we might be headed out. There are actually quite a few folks who windsurf at Mason Neck when the wind direction and speed cooperate. September and October can be pretty good (though wetsuits might be needed).
spookini

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hwork wrote:

If you're up for a drive, google "Extreme Windsurfing", and give Jim a call. Nice guy, and he has all the Fanatic SUP/windsurf boards available to demo/rent...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: