myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Race Jibe Entry: Footwork
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
feuser

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Race Jibe Entry: Footwork Reply with quote

Here's one issue for fellow racer heads: Going into a jibe fully powered up is always tricky. My back leg is loaded up, feet on the rail & in the straps, the sail sheeted in and the nose of the board down.

In order to get the back foot out of the strap, I need to release back foot pressure, i.e. sheet out for a fraction on a second. Without the sail pressure, the nose of the board rises up, catches air etc. It's never a smooth moment, but at full speed & going over chop in 20 knots on a 75cm wide board under a 8.5m, it is a win-or lose issue.

Anyone care to spill his/her secrets or observations?

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't just sheet out.
Instead, give the sail a pump, meaning, out and back in, to release pressure on the sail. Immediately step out of the back strap and sheet IN again.
feuser

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Don't just sheet out.
Instead, give the sail a pump, meaning, out and back in, to release pressure on the sail. Immediately step out of the back strap and sheet IN again.

I have been doing that unhooking and "stepping out" of the back strap with sail flap (pump) all at once. Problem is that, similarly to sheeting out, you lose downward sail pressure during the outward motion of the sail pump. It seems to upset the balance somewhat, which can be precarious when you're flying across chop & out of the back strap.

Do you always place the back foot on the windward rail first or go straight for the leeward rail?

NickB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at this video of Peter Volwater doing a slalom jibe might help, as you can view it frame by frame.

Seems he goes straight for the windward rail, but also seems that yes, it is precarious in the chop during the flap/pump. Even though the whole real-time sequence looks smooth, you can clearly see when slowing through 0:02-0:03 of the video that it gets bouncy Smile

pv.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.36 KB
 Viewed:  13078 Time(s)

pv.png

dllee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backfoot straight to windward rail, and pressure immediately.
Pumping does TWO things. Obviously, it can add power, but it also SUBTRACT'S power when you time it right.
The first pump is to dump power, so you can unload the backfoot. The second sheet in is when you dive into the inside arc of the turn, oversheeting to dump power so you don't get pulled over.
feuser

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickB wrote:
Seems he goes straight for the windward rail, but also seems that yes, it is precarious in the chop during the flap/pump. ... Smile

Certainly you mean to say he goes straight for the leeward rail? Or am I blind to the obvious...

That is a nice jibe and a great example of how this is an iffy moment even for the best. I want to get to some point where I can be ridiculously powered, look at any point in the water just ahead and jibe around that as if it were my marker. Meaning, no waiting for a smooth spot, no bearing off a little, no keeping my back foot on the leeward rail for almost a whole second before going into the turn...

DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florian, LeeD has it correct. It's the brief release of pressure through sheeting out that pins your foot. Part of the reason you might experience this despite your very high skill level is the jibe setup. It's kinda old news at this point, but we truly must reach back farther on the boom than is apparent when we first consider reaching back as a way to progress into high speed jibes.

The other thing I might suggest without seeing you is to pressure your front foot even more by bending your knees and dipping forward. You only have so much mass to apply to the board and the more that is on the front the less on the back!

Finally, a step jibe is a moment after what could have been a clew-first jibe. Back foot pressure decreases as you turn farther downwind but the challenge is to balance the timing and forces so that you neither get launched because you waited too long nor go straight because you didn't wait long enough.

Try to execute a clew-first jibe, just don't force the clew. You will find that the release of the clew will help synthesize your understanding of how rig pressure affects foot pressure during the jibe. Once the sail is released you will feel your back foot pressured but the trick is to begin to feel your front foot get the grease by opening and pushing your windward hip forward as the sail flips.

Don't sail the back foot in most cases. Try to feel the pressure on the front during turns.

NickB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, yes leeward
rich1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse my ignorance Dan, I don't get what you mean by a clew first jibe.

Cheers
adywind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting take on the subject:
http://www.guycribb.com/userfiles/documents/Slalom-%20gybe.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: