myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Regripping deck?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevinDo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Regripping deck? Reply with quote

Has anyone tried using clear skateboard grip tape for regrip their deck? Any other easy solutions for a horrible DIYer. I've thought about painting the board with that clear anti slip stuff they sell at pool supply stores.

Thanks!
-Kevin
mchaco1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds painful Laughing If you want to take the easy way out you can pick up some surfboard wax like I do, you get grip and it doesnt bite all the skin off your ankles. Not perfect but you can always just take it off if you dont like it.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always upgrade the deck with EVA material. It might be a bit more costly, but it give you an outstanding result. Also, you can limit the EVA material only to the areas where you actually need a non-skid surface.
isobras

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waffle grid deck pads from NSI in Hood River. SEARCH the forum on keyword NSI for further comments on it.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Re-Dek, available at most windsurf stores. It comes with everything you need, including instructions and a roller; does not require any DIY skills; and works well.

I'd definitely avoid the surf wax. I tried that once, and the board ended up as a major magnet for dirt. I guess surfboards don't spend much time lying on the beach when it's blowing sand, but windsurf boards do.

If you're into light wind freestyle, then swchandler's EVA suggestion may be the best idea.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard redeck can damage the paint job? NSI has some clear tape made for windsurf boards, might try it!
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfboard wax works GREAT.
If you think it's dusty out, flip the board over to avoid the sun.
If deck get's dirty, hose it off with HOT water. Takes 2 minutes, then reapply wax to your favorite stepping stone.
ctuna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Surfboard Wax won't work. Reply with quote

Windsurfing is not the same as Surfing .
There are counter forces between the Mast Foot Pressure the sail pulling on you and your feet. I was in a foreign country renting some old gear
where they did this (waxed the board) and its total crap.
I know it works on surfboards where you only have down pressure and no lateral pressure cause I been long boarding for about 49 years.
I don't know might have been the 80 degree water keeping it soft but it
was a bad experience.
I have used Redek a couple of times it works some times you have to apply a couple of coats . At the point you need to apply to the board its already old anyway. Do you want to ride the board or display it.
Also I never had any discoloration using it on a an all Blue Board.
Or any of the other boards I have used it on .
maxdownhaul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tape around the area you want to regrip then using a foam roller apply a thin coat of epoxy resin, then sprinkle over it with caster sugar and lightly roll it out for an even finish. Once it has dried hose the board down to dissolve the sugar. It is a good grip that wont make your ankles bleed.
Bluejaytoo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxdownhaul wrote:
Tape around the area you want to regrip then using a foam roller apply a thin coat of epoxy resin, then sprinkle over it with caster sugar and lightly roll it out for an even finish. Once it has dried hose the board down to dissolve the sugar. It is a good grip that wont make your ankles bleed.

I have done this; it's a great low-budget solution!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: