myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fin Material
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, Sailboarder, that it depends what we mean by planing those old early longboards.

Mine often ran at what I called gallumphing speed. i.e. anything in excess of about 12 knots, and not in the straps. It was a form of planing, in that the daggerboard could be kicked up, yet you could easily make it upwind.

I rarely used the straps on that board (Be-Bop) so I maintain that my weight would have been further forward which would have eased the pressure on the fin box. 3,000 miles and over 4 years of usage without damage to the box must prove the point! Neither did I use big sails (just enough size to comfortably 'gallumph') which must also have helped it last so long.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can't believe I once lusted after the SainVal 12.4" model. So sleek, so sexy, so foiled and thin.
Lucky for me, I spent a week on a Alto (slightly smaller copy of DufourWing), bought a Marker111 transition board, used it 4 days, and grabbed my housemates 9' surfboard, which led to a week of planing before the season ended, and we ordered Seatrend 8'10" tri fin poly glass boards. The surfboard, I added footstrap inserts at 12" and 30" from the tail block, working perfectly for planing at Crissy and OysterPoint.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly agree Zirtaeb that those early European (especially Froggie) boards left much to be desired construction and fittings wise. Ooh the pain of having a Sainval, as a friend did! A quick flick back through my logs reminded of what we had to put up with repair and strenghthening wise, just to keep them sea worthy.

No wonder the 'super market' Sainvals and the even lesser ones disappeared. The sudden rise in construction and fitting standards of composite boards in the later 80's was one giant leap forward for mankind.

And who can argue with that! Laughing
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we are on the subject of fin boxes, I thought I'ld get some more use out of my camera and take another useless picture. I own two old boards and both have this kind of re-enforced fin box. Any other kind of box on an old board would be junk in my opinion. However, using the largest weedfin sold, the Hydrofoil 60cm with 126 sq. inches of area which has a Tuttle box, I was wondering why they wouldn't give it a deep Tuttle except that perhaps they don't have that kind of mold. It seems to me that ordinary Tuttle bases in deep Tuttle boxes can provide more stress than the board structure was built for.

Wind&SurfFinBox.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  205.89 KB
 Viewed:  11897 Time(s)

Wind&SurfFinBox.JPG

GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a recognised practice over here to fit SMALLER (I've just fitted a 38 ) ordinary Tuttle head fins into deep Tuttle boxes. The heads are identical in the parts which locate the fin correctly in the box (sloping fronts and backs) and all that's needed is a pair of longer bolts.

As for possible warranty issues; if the dealer who sells the board O.K.'s such a practise, and also supplies ths asked for fin (as mine did) it seems unlikely he would refuse to honour any genuine construction fault in the board, should any arise.

In grey areas such as this it would likely depend on a persons relationship with the dealer,and how much he values that persons continued custom.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poly glass board with side woodies... fine if you fins are not hi aspect blades and you don't use them all the time going fast.
Most top custom surfboard builders use side, front and back, and deck woodies to secure the chinook box to the bottom of the board. Thin tails can't support thru boxes adaquately.
Yes, short tuttle base fins into deep tuttle box is OK, as fins shorter than 48 don't really require deep tuttle reinforcement.
And if you hit something underwater while sailing fast, something IS gonna break.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question was about weed fins with spans longer than 48 cm and ordinary Tuttle bases. My large fin has a 60 cm span and is tuttle only.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

I recommend you seek out the advice of Mr. Sailboarder on this matter,
he seems extremely knowledgable, and close to your location
(maybe even in the same room).

-Craig

sailingjoe wrote:
My question was about weed fins with spans longer than 48 cm and ordinary Tuttle bases. My large fin has a 60 cm span and is tuttle only.
isobras

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same room, different lobe.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
Joe,

I recommend you seek out the advice of Mr. Sailboarder on this matter,
he seems extremely knowledgable, and close to your location
(maybe even in the same room).

-Craig

Thanks for the comparison. We have distinct brains however and mine usually speaks and thinks in French, (but I'm not French). So I assume the lobes would not be compatible if put together as assumed by Iso.

Back to Joe's question, I don't know much about board building, apart from the few problems I had to fix myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: