myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
good season so far :)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rexi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: good season so far :) Reply with quote

It´s been a great season so far!

I had a new baby late december and somehow thought i would not be able to do much this season. But since may i´ve had about 20 sessions. A lot more then i was expecting since i have a two year old and an infant. Had a lot of sessions in the nordic midnight sun after the kids are a sleep. This alone has left me happy with the season so far.

I got a freestyle board at the end of last season an on my third session in may I landed a Vulcan and although i´m far from consistent in that trick my hit rate has been improving all season.

In 2009 I was thinking about looping and did some of those prep moves you read about. Then tried the loop and hurt my self. I somehow just stopped thinking about the forward after that crash. Until yesterday... Then i did one of those jibe things and jumping with the sail. And after that just tried the loop.. And landed on my ass with a big smile on my face Smile

then the wind died.. but I´m super stoked about my loop attempt and want to give it another go.

Hell, I´m stoked about this season, my progress and most of all this sport Smile

I love windsurfing and just wanted to share Smile
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Wow! Reply with quote

Wow!
isobras

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Babies + loops + limited time = helmet and body armor, I hope. Cracked ribs, or worse, could bring your admirable stoke down a notch or three.

Mike \OO/
rexi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear a helmet but not an armor other then a thick suit. But to be clear, i did not land a Vulcan on my third session trying it, I had given it numerous attempts on my wave board over a long period of time before getting the freestyle board.

And that is one the reasons why Im so stoked, i feel like have not made much progress the last two seasons, but somehow this season things are clicking.
geohaye

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heaps of respect to Rexi!

Those of us with little (tiny) kids know how hard it can be to even get time to properly THINK about windsurfing, let alone actually GO windsurfing. Shocked

Where are your local spots, Rexi?

Keep up the stoke, and keep sharing it!
jse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: good season so far :) Reply with quote

rexi wrote:
Then i did one of those jibe things and jumping with the sail. And after that just tried the loop.. And landed on my ass with a big smile on my face Smile

Please describe the jibe thing and jumping with the sail. What were your prep drills? I've seem more majorly damaged boards from doing the loop practice out of the straps - myself included. I've been doing Remko's drills, and I'm hoping to progress from there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTjxJTiTmSg&feature=player_embedded

Congrats on your progress. Oh yeah, the baby thing too.

Steve
rexi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your kind word guys!

I´m located in Iceland and my local spots are in Reykjavík, from my apartment there are about 8 different spots within 5-15min. Most wavespots are about 30-40min drive, although there is one 5min from downtown Reykjavík that works in SV winds.

For my prep drills I also looked at Remkos video, although I just did step one and found that it had given me some idea of how to position my body for the loop so I decided to give it a go - with the ass-landing results.. I have to try it again though to make sure it was not a one-hit-wonder.
geohaye

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iWindsurf's sister website WindAlert is the weather partner for the new extreme windsurfing contest, Storm Chasers.

One of the spots they are monitoring right now is the SW coast of Iceland!

Storm Chasers' Iceland page:
http://www.redbullstormchase.com/destinations/iceland

Certainly looks windy down at Vestmannaeyjar:
http://www.windalert.com/en-us/Search/SpotInfo.aspx?spotid=67065

Main Storm Chasers webpage:
http://www.redbullstormchase.com/

Screen Shot 2012-08-13 at 5.09.51 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  244.74 KB
 Viewed:  14425 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2012-08-13 at 5.09.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-08-13 at 5.07.32 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  424 KB
 Viewed:  14425 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2012-08-13 at 5.07.32 PM.png

rexi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, it´s great that the storm chase has picked Iceland as one of the potential spots. Now we just have to hope for some proper storm..

It would be great to see some pro riders windsurf some of the spots. -and actually have some advanced waveriders try some spots that have never been ridden on the Reykjanes peninsula.

Steve Thorp came for a week last year and scored a wave that has never been windsurfed 30 min from Reykjavík. -And then there is the north coast, well.. the east and the west as well that are basically untouched.

http://www.stevethorp.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=342&Itemid=48
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, rexi! Love the stoke! I'm curious - can you guess how many vulcan attempts you needed before you landed the first one?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: