myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
board volume
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchaco1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobras wrote:
westender wrote:
I can't imagine a need for more than 3.

Thanks ISO.

Yer welcome.

But ... need, schneed. It's fun ... IMO ... riding different boards, even if they're all the same effective size.

I second that, it feels like you got a new board every time you go out Laughing
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobras wrote:

I'd love to just respond directly, but a few paragraphs of explanation up front may avert pages of personal BS by turning on the kitchen lights to scatter the roaches. Bear with me, grasshopper; I’ve been and done exactly where and what you’re asking about. To prevent the endless accusations of boasting, ego, narcissism, etc. before they even start, however, I'll first have to explain everything from why I use the word "I" to why I'm discussing my qualifications to offer you my OPINIONS on this subject so near and dear to my heart. If I don't explain all this, people who just can't STAND topical discourse will yet again insist on making this thread about me. When they do that, threads double in length, triple in angst, and quadruple in BS.

First, ego/schmego. I use the word "I" because I can't speak for anyone else, not you, not another contributor, not lurkers. *I* sure as hell don't know what *you* should do, let alone what you should think, so "you should" is not appropriate, and "you must" is WAY out of line. That leaves “I”, so people who don’t like or understand it are free to go read something else instead, to take Lee’s advice to read for content rather than for excuses to bash someone, or to go to hell. If all they’re capable of is pissing in the public punchbowl, they should be ashamed and pilloried.

I do hope you copy this like I have and re-submit it every time you post. That way you can avoid doing any more work on this subject and can concentrate ON the TOPIC.
zirtaeb wrote:
All volume quotations are just estimates from someone.
Width, outline, rocker, tail rocker, thickness has lots do do with it, mixing up the feel of just "volume".
It's common knowledge that the earth revolves around the sun, and two objects of the same weight will have markedly different carry characteristics. Why does a mouse when it spins?
isobras

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
isobras wrote:
need, schneed. It's fun ... IMO ... riding different boards, even if they're all the same effective size.

I second that, it feels like you got a new board every time you go out Laughing

And each board, even if they're all the same type and size and proportions, has its own unique personality. In some cases, even if they do the same things, they do it differently ... for better or worse. Damn, but I wish I could have them all in a hut by the water and compare them all head to head or just switch for the hell of it whenever I choose ... sort of like a harem but without the lag time when ya change rides. Wink
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobras wrote:
surfersteve wrote:
I want my Outback garaged which means only two boards on top.

I keep three boards and 4-5 full rigs inside mine, but if I wanted to take the cat she'd have to ride on top. Boards on top must gobble up a lot of dead dinosaurs ... if that's the origin of oil.

My car (1999 BMW M3) with no racks and no boards gets around 26.3 MPG (on-board computer figure) in highway driving at fairly conservative speeds (55-65MPH) as long as there is no stop-and-go. With racks and one large (155L) board in a bag on top, it gets 24.5-25.3 MPG.

One-way drive to my old preferred sailing site was 56 miles or around 4.5 gallons round trip; new preferred site is 28 miles or 2.5 gallons round trip.
starfish

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: fuel Reply with quote

Butwho really drives 55? When its windy most people speed. Just saying.
brettn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting 21mpg out of a mid-90s dodge diesel loaded with 3 windsurf boards, 2 kite boards, 4 sails, 4 kites and everything necessary for two toddlers, cute wife and me to camp. shopping for a small camper though which will hopefully only take 3 mpg off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: