myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
HiFly FreeRide 279...or Starboard Futura

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevinDo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: HiFly FreeRide 279...or Starboard Futura Reply with quote

Hey Gents,

Need help deciding on gear. I'm currently sailing with a HiFly Freeride 279 and I love its speed! I also have a 2008 Bic Core 293D that I use for low winds. Last week I got to try someones Starboard Futura and wow...I think I'm in love all over again. Definitely was a lot easier to control (could just be placebo) but I felt that it wasn't as fast as my HiFly. Any body ride both? What do you think? I'm trying to decide between selling the Bic or the HiFly to get the funds for the futura (or should I just keep both my boards)? Thanks!

-Kevin
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one is entirely up to you.
My g/f has a 111 Futura, one of my buds sails a bigger one, and the kids who have a trailer where I rig have 2. I find it closer to an Isonic than my freeride boards are close to my slalom Slabs.
A board is only as fast as it's setup, and the rider's inclination. There is no cureall for finding the "fastest" board, or the one easiest to ride, easiest to jibe, or easiest to plane. You have to want it, then set up the rig to match.
If you have BOTH the Futura and the 279, and you sail with a fast sailor on ANY kind of board, you will find yourself passed easily.
As you know, the choice is yours alone.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It tuff to beat the Futura..
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on your skill level, Isonics, Mantas, SLPros, GrandPrix, SlabSlaloms, CarbonArts, Nelsons, and tons of other slalom boards are faster, plane up sooner, and have less drag.
spennie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I't's very very difficult to tell if a board is "faster", unless you spend some time with both boards and a GPS. In the 90's Mistral did some testing with a couple of boards, one epoxy (stiff) and one of their ASA-skinned boards (softer). Nearly everyone thought the epoxy board was faster, but the radar gun (no GPS yet) proved them wrong, it just FELT faster, because they could feel every little bump & chop. A very flat-bottomed board is going to feel faster for the very same reason.

Every modern board is fast, find one that fits your ability level, volume needs and style of sailing and then learn how to sail faster!

bubbalover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year is the Futura? That makes a big difference.

The Futura from 2010 on is almost a full-on slalom board. They are super fast and technical.

Prior to that they were based on the Go boards and were a lot more user friendly. In 2010 Starboard re-launched the Carve which took over the freeride role and the Futuras became "freerace" boards.

So if you're riding a 2009 Futura keep in mind that a 2012 model is going be faster and put you out on the rails more.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubbalover wrote:
What year is the Futura? That makes a big difference.

The Futura from 2010 on is almost a full-on slalom board. They are super fast and technical.

Prior to that they were based on the Go boards and were a lot more user friendly. In 2010 Starboard re-launched the Carve which took over the freeride role and the Futuras became "freerace" boards.

So if you're riding a 2009 Futura keep in mind that a 2012 model is going be faster and put you out on the rails more.

I believe it was last years model. It was either the futura or the 135L tabou rocket. Kind of leaning towards the rocket as it uses a powerbox which I already have a bunch of fins. Also some of the folks at Cabrillo tell me its an easy board to sail which is a bonus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: