myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New guys needs a little help
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Fogland. You can take lessons and rent gear from Paul, who is there every day in a big camper with trailer. Definitely start with a lesson, it will make you learn a lot faster. Check the local info for Fogland for his phone number.

After a few lessons and rentals, you'll have a better idea what kind of gear to get.
cchretien12

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know off had how much the rentals are from paul
outcast

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

want to get into the sport?
take lessons/rental in the warmest water possible.

you have to fall in (about 100 times) before you get it....
warm water gives you a much quicker progression
Maybe its not possible...but that's the ideal

waist deep flat water and steady wind helps alot......hatteras fits the bill good luck!

shreddbob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the warm shallow water advice! If you wait until the fall then you'll need to buy a wetsuit to give this sport a meaningful try.

West Dennis beach at low tide is a premier learning spot, in wind directions from the West, SW, S, and SE. The water is waist deep for several hours either side of low tide. The weekend parking fee is a steep $25 though ($20 on weekdays). Perhaps if you get lessons at Inland Sea in Dennis they get you in with no parking fee?

I did a lot of my learning at Spy Pond in Arlington in SW winds, but you'd have to bring your own gear. Hopkinton State Park is also a good spot in a SW wind, and the parking fee there is only $5. You launch at the boat ramps area and have a good length of downwind shoreline to come back to. They may even rent windsurfers there and have lessons?
http://www.yelp.com/biz/boating-in-boston-hopkinton-3

So hopefully you can get out at least once with a lesson sooner rather than later. Either Fogland (as Boardsurfr mentions), West Dennis/Inland Sea, Hopkinton State Park, or Sailworld should get you started in a good way. Good luck. Let us know what happens!
cchretien12

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also wonder if there are any other boards that anyone would recomend beside the star board rio for the first board i get.
edoremus337

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hopkinton State Park boathouse does have windsurfers, as well as SUP's for rent. I used to work there for 6 years and convinced them to buy a fleet of Bic Technos and Novas. They have sails ranging from 3.5m2 to 8.0m2. If you are thinking about swinging by the state park, give me a ring and Ill see if I can stop by and hook you up with some gear.
johnson_brian_j

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cchretien12 wrote:
I was also wonder if there are any other boards that anyone would recomend beside the star board rio for the first board i get.

Any fairly big, floaty board with a retractable centerboard and full-deck foam ("EVA") padding should work great. Some good examples are the Kona ONE, Fanatic Viper, etc. I have the 80 cm Viper and I love it.
Bluejaytoo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnson_brian_j wrote:

Any fairly big, floaty board with a retractable centerboard and full-deck foam ("EVA") padding should work great. Some good examples are the Kona ONE, Fanatic Viper, etc. I have the 80 cm Viper and I love it.

Second what he said, also Mistral N.Trance, Bic Nova, Starboard Go (or Start, but you'll outgrow it), Exocet Cruiser...
shreddbob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cchretien12 wrote:

Any of the boards mentioned above, which are wide and stable, would be great candidates. For your weight, something around 80 cm wide and 200+ liters in volume is what you want to learn on, and as mentioned a retractable centerboard is very desireable. The Starboard Rio L that I referenced is available used at Sailworld for a decent price. New ones cost around $1400 at end of season discounts ($1600 list price), which is probably the case for any of these other boards as well. Even at the used price I realize this is a steep entry cost for a sport that you haven't tried yet...thus the suggestions of getting at least a lesson or two in before you commit.
npiankov

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest monitoring eBay for a first board. For example, recently there was this board: would have been good for learning and the price was decent (not sure about shipping):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WINDSURFER-STARBOARD-/261075914647?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc9564f97

There are other options for you out there. If you get something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/JP-Australia-X-Cite-Ride-150-/280940580518?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41695d0ea6
you would be able to learn on it (after 2-4 days of renting a truly beginner board) and you'll keep it for a while even after you become somewhat proficient.

A lot depends on how into it you think you'd be. If you expect to sail a few times each summer - just something to do at the beach in addition to kayaking etc, then by all means get a board like the Rio - wide, foamy, with centerboard. If you think this is going to become a hobby that you'll engage in seriously (sail 1-2 times a week, whenever there is decent wind), then I would suggest renting a few days and skipping buying the true beginner board (at least do not buy anything over $500). The super-wide boards are really good for a few days, but with any level of athletic ability and desire to succeed you'll be able to continue learning on something much smaller (145-160L) after just few days and that would be a board that will actually be fun on high wind days when you know what you are doing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: