myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Harness Lines...slipping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tm00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Harness Lines...slipping Reply with quote

Have two sets of dakine Classic Reactive Lines. The one set works fine but the brand new (this spring) set will not hold the grip on the line when adjusted shorter. Not sure why this is... maybe I snapped the springs out of position.

Anyone else have this problem and or solution?

tm00
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the first set of lines that I bought and I dislike them... I bought the large version and I guess it was mislabeled since it is 28 inches total length, not inside (or free from boom). The set is too small.

Also, one of the clamp is now totally seized, I guess from corrosion. I'll have to try a dab of Liquid Wrench to free it. Maybe yours is corroding and not clipping down enough to fully engage? You could try to put a tiny amount of silicone lube to keep it free. I assume we have to be carefull not to lubricate the teeths to avoid futher slippage.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad someone else has started a thread on these. These are horrible lines and i've had the same problems both with slippage and then with complete freeze up due to salt corrosion after only about 6 months use. To get them to stop slipping, once you have your length set, I would use my finger to pull out on the metal tab of the clamp while pulling down on the harness line asame time to try and lock in the teeth into the line webbing. This usually worked. However, I didn't use the boom for about 2 months during which time the clamps siezed up with corrosion from saltwater. Tried every type of lubricant to free them up with no luck. I also tried soaking them in fresh water for about a week to see in that would dissolve the salt - no luck. At least they are frozen to the correct size i typically use. Good luck with these.

Rob
grayson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for an alternative, try the Sailworks Quiktune Harenss Lines.

Easy to adjust on the fly, and it'll never slip or fail on you. The only down side is it does swing freely, unlike your typical fixed harness lines, which takes some getting used to. But I think you get that to varying degrees with most any model of on-the-fly adjustable lines anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: