myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Euro-pin U-Tendon separation BEWARE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WaterKook

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the best on the market. Replace the tendon and srews that hold the tendon in every two years or every year if you sail all winter.

I had one of the old europin's break at Bayview in February once and had to swim as hard as I could to catch my board. I almost did not catch it!

oldiemouldy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: At the risk of abusing a deceased equine... Reply with quote

To clarify what my wife broke-it is not a bolt. If you look at Starik333's posted pic of the Chinook 2 bolt hourglass base on the bottom of the first page of this thread, the two pins that stick out of the side on the top barrel are what let go when the U-shaped spring that holds them in place snapped in the middle, releasing the extension. The actual bolt connection and safety straps were fine, but they are below what disconnected, hence the problem.
On a related note, my son had a couple of disconnects on his Naish board when the single bolt base nut loosened and the base slid out of the slot. On all the other boards we've had, if the base loosened, it would slide toward the slot entrance but stop before it got there, and then it took a couple more loosenig turns to slide it the rest of the way. Not so on the Naish, so we got a fin screw with a finger nut to tighten, made for surfboards, and that goes into the slot as a stopper. Perhaps not elegant, but functional. I will be looking at the two bolt EX bases when we next upgrade our gear.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bthiel wrote:
I would never buy a tendon system. They all will break in half over time. My concern is that bolt that holds the pin section. There is no way to really know if the loc-tite will let go until it does. I have never had the hour glass back out of the rubber. I lost my extension and hour glass but now I know never to buy a pin system. Sand gets into the pin hole every time I have beach rigged it. I end up fighting to get the damn pin to click-in. What a PIA that is when you can't wait to get in the water. PIA PLUS!
What a confusing message. First of all Locktite never fails if you use the right locktite, Red. Your "hour glass" is called a boge. It seems that you aren't wrapped all that tightly, and that's why you have trouble with sand in the hole. I've had a well used boge break in half. I should have replaced it, but I was trying to get the most bang for my buck. On a related note, I own a Windsurfing Hawaii two bolt Gorilla universal and extention. Looking at it this past few days, I realize that it should give me plenty of downhaul, although I can't use my downhaul cranking tools designed for Chinook or the Europin (Gun).
pueno

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoke wrote:
What a confusing message.

Brucie, YOU are the King of Confusion.

sailingjoke wrote:
First of all Locktite never fails if you use the right locktite, Red.

Wrong, Brucie. Locktite can fail, and for several reasons. It can be old and contaminated. The threads could be dirty. It could be applied wrong. It could have been stressed or sheared before it was fully cured.

sailingjoke wrote:
It seems that you aren't wrapped all that tightly, and that's why you have trouble with sand in the hole.

Speaking of not wrapped tightly, look who's talking!!
angulo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes, i just can't help it and really need to pipe in.... see link below. this is the real deal.

http://streamlined.us/twist-on-tendon-joint-euro-pin.html
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are practical purposes and those that are better addressed in large engineering firms. Now, Oneup is a grease monkey, not an engineer,not a windsurfer. He definitely knows his auto mechanics, and I'm sure he has seen loctite fail. However, in windsurfing where you don't deal with wide fluctiations in temperatures and have only salt water to currupt, loctite becomes more of a problem when you want to break your universal into parts than it does otherwise. Streamline products are great, but I don't think they make a two bolt plate variety. There are multiple advantages to plate systems. You can rig more than one sail and alternate them quickly. They are easier to attach board/sail than any other way. WS Hawaii made an excellent universal with removable base. Unfortunately they went out of business before they adapted fully to the "crank your downhaul and loosen your leach" error.
pueno

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoke wrote:
Now, Oneup is a grease monkey, not an engineer...

And there you 100% WRONG, Brucie. (But no surprise at that.) I have more engineering degrees than you have, big guy.

sailingjoke wrote:
...I'm sure he has seen loctite fail...

Yes, I've seen Loctite fail, and I described the reasons.... which is more than you could do.

But that's to be expected from a windbag like you.

sailingjoke wrote:
...and have only salt water to currupt...

Do you mean C O R R U P T ?
norcom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched from the US cup to the europin faily quickly after I got into the sport about a year ago and I like it more. I'm not sure how any of you have trouble getting it to click into place. It's faster and easier than the US cup that has to be aligned. I clean my gear after every session, I wash the extension and the button out fairly well to make sure there's no dirt/sand and the button is smooth. Maintenance is key with anything.

I've bent one europin, it was screwed into the Bogie on one of my longboards. About 8mm for the thread, I think. Very thin and weak. The Chinook two bolt tendon is machined from one piece and looks almost twice as thick as the bolt. I've had an RDM extension snap in half while attached to the silver Chinook europin joint. It's still perfect. I prefer to know the tendon is attached with bolts instead of having been molded around a bolt like the Bogie type bases.
combs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does everything think about the mechanical Chinook universal? I have been using them exclusively since a shop owner suggested they were the most reliable. They also make it easy to remove the rig from the board in the water when I want to swap gear with the wife.

MechTwoBoltUSMD.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.43 KB
 Viewed:  13002 Time(s)

MechTwoBoltUSMD.jpg

outcast

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thing hurts my toes just looking at it!
Off the shelf, any of the above systems are fine. Problem is when people are pulling em out of the dumpster or some neglected container....or just sailing it for a few years till it breaks .

PK and I change tendons when we set the clocks back ...a new tendon for winter. JE changes his underwear AND his tendon.

Maui rental fleets are with the one bolt Streamlined. The Two bolt is nice i guess if you use board bags, but the clip is just one more failure point ....yeah the one bolt can slip if it aint tight...but a lot easier to move around for tuning.

swapping in the water probably better with that Chinook, but the mast will pinch you, and a little beach time is nice too

What an awesome thread!
Reflections on a summer without wind
Next = Fin screws: Phillips Vs Slot!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: