myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Speaking of Blame
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
Nuclear waste issues freeze permits for U.S. power plants

One more plank in the Obama "all of the above" approach to energy independence. Don't worry though, the freeze on permits will be lifted, and the Keystone project will be approved, once the election is over and the environmentalists have dutifully trotted along to the polling booth to support our President. http://money.cnn.com/2012/08/09/news/economy/nuclear-plants-waste/index.htm?iid=HP_LN&hpt=hp_t3

For once, Wikipedia nails it..........Gullibility is a failure of social intelligence in which a person is easily tricked or manipulated into an ill-advised course of action. It is closely related to credulity, which is the tendency to believe unlikely propositions that are unsupported by evidence.

Mrgybe. I would suggest doing a LOT more homework on the history of nuclear waste disposal in this country before you decide this is Obama's fault. As a graduate student in structural mechanics, (30 years ago),I was involved in evaluation of the Yucca Mountain site in Nevada and a couple other sites. The constant political bantering and power playing from all directions stalled the advancement of the science for decades. I, ultimately, chose a different career path as a result of this dysfunctional process.

But, nice try.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you are an expert on the subject, perhaps you can offer an opinion on why the Administration would impose the freeze now? Were they unaware of the difficulty in disposing of nuclear waste when the President voiced support for the construction of new nuclear power plants? Has something changed which would cause us to take a view different than that which has existed for decades?
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert on the nuances of the politics regarding nuclear policy. However, I will not jump to the conclusion that this administration is trying to derail nuclear energy having seen how this process was being played thirty years ago. Is it possible that the regulators would like to see a plan for waste disposal before more waste is created? I might even argue that preventing relicensure of plants could be a political method to get the radioactive waste disposal program fired up.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That must be it then. A freeze 90 days before the election, which flies in the face of the President's other pronouncements on the topic, must just be a coincidence. Thanks for straightening me out. It was foolish of me to think that this is just another in a long series of last minute moves to pander to special interest groups.
mac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father worked in the nuclear industry for years--but anyone not getting their news from right wing trolls would know that there are two significant new issues in nuclear power: 1) the Tsunami in Japan overwhelmed facilities that were supposedly designed to withstand the maximum credible earthquake; and 2) the rapid failure of tubes at San Onofre has given everyone in the industry the wet willies.

Of course, while folks like mrgybe pretend to worship the market as god, nuclear power only exists in this country because of massive subsidy--the most significant of which is the government's acting as the insurer for virtually all liability.

I predict silence, snarky comments off point about Berkeley, and a return to Republican talking points. Those who pretend to knowledge are funny to Pueno; I see it as a failure in parents teaching their children integrity and encouraging curiousity.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! A personal attack on my parents now. A gentleman and a scholar.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you can read into it what you would like.

Two months after a court decision, which concluded that plants cannot continue to generate waste on the assumption that some day that waste can be accomodated, resulted in a moratorium by the regulators...is only politics? Really?

I would argue this decision hurts Obama with those of us that would like to see more nuclear energy.

For a perspective on the nuclear waste disposal political process this is interesting reading...

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/14/3038814/yucca-mountain-wipp-wasteland-battle-entomb-nuclear-waste
isobras

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

France's 1.3M cu ft of nuclear waste fits under one building. What are we doing wrong?
mac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was right on snarky. Maybe he lost integrity all on his own. No response on substance--of course.
pueno

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
Ah! A personal attack on my parents now. A gentleman and a scholar.

You are truly twisted and paranoid if you read that as an attack on your parents.

But don't worry, Mr. G..... paranoia is understandable for you rabid righties.

And coming from you, it's funny. Thanks for the laughs! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: