myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
upwind grrr
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevinDo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: upwind grrr Reply with quote

I have a feeling I'm doing something wrong but today everytime I was about to get into a plane the board would go for 2 seconds than shoot upwind and slowed down. I think it could be me placing the weight on my back foot a lot (habit from formula board). I'm using a hifly freeride 279 w/ a 14.5 in true ames bladeweed fin + 5.6 sail. Could the fin be too big?

Thanks!
-Kevin
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More likely, you're raking the sail with you as you step near the back footstraps without sheeting in enough for that fin to hold a line at the slower speed you're travelling at the time.
Wait a second before heading for the backstraps, get up to some speed, then sheet in, lean down on the boom, then go for the rear strap.
You can sail, but just forgot how to use a 37 cm fin.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
More likely, you're raking the sail with you as you step near the back footstraps without sheeting in enough for that fin to hold a line at the slower speed you're travelling at the time.
Wait a second before heading for the backstraps, get up to some speed, then sheet in, lean down on the boom, then go for the rear strap.
You can sail, but just forgot how to use a 37 cm fin.

You know that sounds about right. I always tend to go back on the board to compensate for the wind(at the time same time i sheet in too). So basically just wait alittle than go back after you start moving?.. also what's raking the sail? Sad
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feel bad.
The top Berkeley Formula sailors usually don't sail slalom boards the same week, and have a long adaptation phase before they start feeling comfortable jibing and coming out quickly.
Pros are different, of course, but notice only ONE of the Brasilians sail slalom, the other choosing to stick only with Formula.
And some top level slalom sailors don't sail Formula.
Now that 70 cm wide slalom boards with 40 cm fins are coming around, I think the transition can be easier.
bkiggins

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinDo wrote:
.. also what's raking the sail? Sad

Imagine a plane, extending vertically through the board at it's centerline from nose to tail. Raking the sail, either fore or aft, is moving the sail along this plane.

For that matter, the plane could be defined as extending from the clew to the boom head. In this case, the movement of the mast in either direction along this plane constitutes the act of "raking" the sail.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's kind of interesting about putting your weight on your back foot in Formula sailing. The dynamic of footstrap placement changes radically with the straps so far out on the rail on a Formula board. I would think you would be doing a lot of Formula sailing to be in that habit. I looked at my ankles this morning and saw that they are swollen. Is it old age? I'm 62. Diabetes? I think it's been all the stress I have put on my ankles trying to master the Formula board and the light winds. It sucks getting in the straps in marginal winds and riding for minutes without getting up on a plane. You stress the ankles trying to keep the board from losing it.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only spent one season with a Formula board atop my car (2001), but I never got into the rear straps until the board was planing.
At my 144 lbs. then, I could easily get into the front straps, and almost as easily into the rear straps non planing, but that would take longer to get onto a full plane.
Even with Formula and 9.5 sails, you could plane up sooner with the back foot between the straps, and also glide thru holes in the wind easier.
I needed the front foot in the straps to lessen wetted surface to allow the board to plane.
isobras

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have three steering wheels:
1. Board roll angle (tilt right or left, controlled with our feet). Board turns toward whichever rail is lower (if no daggerboard is down.)
2. Rig tilt/rake fore'n'aft. Forward drives nose downwind, back drives tail downwind (nose upwind).
3. Sheeting angle. Sheeting in drives nose downwind, sheeting out drives tail downwind (nose upwind).

Figure out which steering wheel(s) you're accidentally steering upwind and STOP IT! Wink

Mike \OO/
KevinDo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found that as a result of the fear from going so fast, my back foot definitely was the culprit. Took it alittle easier today and got going Very Happy. Appreciate all the tips gents! Really made my sailing today enjoyable while the wind lasted Very Happy. Must admit it is scary not planting my foot down as hard as I used too!

-Kevin
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait untill you have some speed before you look to use the back footstrap.
Let the board run get some speed than head up wind. As you get better with your board and sail you will find the sweet spot as to when to go for that back strap. The stronger the wind the quicker you can hit that strap. In very lite wind I often only use the front strap. Speed is your friend!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: