myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Need Help...........Newbie
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nickinmd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Need Help...........Newbie Reply with quote

Hi guys. Need some input. First off, I've never sailed but want to start. I'm 43 and average 185 lbs. I live a few miles above the virginia line,Pocomoke, md. So I'm 20 miles from the ocean or the Chesapeake bay. I've been watching the wind reports and it seems the wind ranges from 5 to 15 mph. On the ocean side we normally go to an island called Assateague. The wind there seems to be higher than what the news site says.
That being said I have no idea what size board or sail I should be looking for. Also if any of you are close and could tell me if windsurfing is possible. I ask this because I've lived here 13 yrs and not once have I ever seen anyone windsurfing here. We don't have any waves to speak of unless a hurricane comes by<which they do....often> then its nuts. On the norm I would say by shore couple of feet high to shoulder<rare>..............where they break 50 feet or so out they can be 3 to 6 feet and most times roll all the way in. I've been on the lookout for some cheap gear......seems there isn't any here to be found, but you never know. But I figured I need to know what I'm looking for. Thanks for any help.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick,

I don't know the area, but here are some basics to get you started on your endeavor.

1. Beginners need lessons
2. Beginners need large/wide boards to learn fast
3. Lessons will introduce you to the equipment that will be best suited for your location (both for learning and when your skills advance).
4. Find out if there are any local shops and talk to the folks there to begin your quest.
5. Most beginner equipment you will outgrow if you persist with the sport, but there is a good re-sale market for good beginner gear (only a few years old)
6. Don't buy anything until you are well versed in the basics (best gear for beginners and novices).
7. You can learn on old gear, but it will be much less stable, it will be frustrating and it will take longer to learn. Those trying to sell it may not be totally honest with you.
8. Sail with friends or with other windsurfers.
9. If you can't find lessons, then you have to depend on fellow windsurfers & the Internet to give you guidance, but not all will be well versed in the "best" advice.
10. There are web sites that will help you find all the windsurfing sites in your area. Go where the others go.

It's a great lifetime sport, but you have to be persistent to get hooked. Once hooked, you will be for life. The learning curve is slow, so don't expect too much too soon.
btbill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look up Delmarva Board Sport Adventures. George M sails all the time at that spot and his biz I believe is the leader in windsurfing and SUP in that area.
Windnc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Need Help Newbie Reply with quote

Nickinmd:

Check out the Exocet WindSUP! Its a super option for a beginning windsurfer who wants to sail both the sound side and eventually the ocean side of Assateague and the other barrier island areas. In winds from 5-15 and even up to 20+, it is easy to sail, very stable, and has a dagger board to help you get back up wind when necessary. Better yet it can also be easily paddled as an SUP and gives you that "two boards in one" versatility.

As an SUP it works well for flat water paddling and also catches waves with ease over on the surf side. Then as you progress in your sailing skills, it is a perfect light wind SUP wave sailing machine or when just enjoying sailing out on the ocean.

For more info on the WindSUP and some pics, Check out:

"http://reefwarriors.wordpress.com/2012/04/21/118-wind-sup-rocks/"

and

"http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24785"

Good luck as you begin your windsurfing adventure,

Windnc ------------
Nickinmd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked at their site...........at those rates I'd get lessons but no board this year. We have a resort area 50 miles up the road where they are and its all tourist trap crap up there. I actually have no desire to do sup..........see guys doing it at our beaches but no sailors. Did read at the first link on that board however and the guys seem to love it. I do intend on doing waves and they said its made for that and low wind.......sounds perfect.

Used gear it would seem is rare here at decent prices, if at all. Not sure, but, am I asking in the right place for some of the info I'm after? Min size board/max size board and what size sails for the wind we have here. That's why I included the info that I did. I started doing overtime for the funds.......it will take a long time to make that kind of money. I don't want to spend 3 months of overtime money on something that I won't be able to use, either due to my size/area.
outcast

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are also not too far from Hatteras....prob worth a drive to get your program going.

I know the Pokomoke.......you have enough wind to make it work....esp spring and fall Smile Nice waters....You want flat water to get started anyway.

Good luck!

techno900

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick,

One of the issues with windsurfing is that there are a lot of variables and it's time consuming to come up with all the answers on line. That's why lessons or dialogue with shops and sailors will help you get started correctly.

What gear you need for your first 50 hours on the water may be different than the second 50 hours and then different again for the next 50 hours. This assumes that you will be persistent and not just head out once a month.

There are exceptions to what I just said and they have to do with typical conditions, venue(s) and commitment.

You may be able to find some good gear on line, but you have to be knowledgeable to keep from getting the wrong stuff.

In a nut shell, you need a board with 175 liters of volume or more and a width of 75 cm or more. A sail about 5 meters in size, plus mast and boom.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nick,

I think (unfortunately for you), that you're going to have to buy some beginner gear 1st, much as has been suggested. Lessons help you
get going much more quickly, but I'd bet most of the posters here
learned by themselves.

As to what you need for your conditions. as a rank beginner, for 5-15
(and stronger at the island), at 185 lbs, with ocean conditions with 3-6
ft waves that roll into shore, one of those windsurf oriented SUPs is your
best $2000 option, but, all you really need to learn is a big (180ltr
or larger) windsurf board, and a 5M sail. Something like this

http://www.windance.com/product.php?productid=4662&cat=381&page=3

would be pretty appropriate for your conditions and learning, and would
be useful in your wind range when you get past the beginner stage.
You could also learn on something like this

http://www.windance.com/product.php?productid=4633&cat=381&page=3

Which is less expensive, just as easy to learn on, but then not as
applicable to your conditions. It could still be used for a light wind board,
but you'd soon want something else.

By "(unfortunately for you)", what I meant was that once you get good
at this, and it has about the same learning curve as snow skiing to get
good if that helps, for your conditions, you'll be wanting something
without a centerboard, that's wave oriented in the 110 ltr range, and
probably a 6.7M sail for 5-15. If it's more like 15-20 at the island,
you'd probably want a 6.3 sail.

5-15 is slogging at the low end and planing at the high end, with
11MPH about the threshold for when you can plane, and for that you
need about a 150 ltr board, and a 9.5 sail (and a few years under your belt).

But to wave ride, you can slog out to the wave, and use the waves power
to get you up and riding, ergo the 6.7 sail mentioned above.

And it only starts there. Because wind is fickle, this sport can get
pretty gear intensive. A minimum quiver for advanced sailors would
have about 3 boards, and 6 sails all of varying sizes. My Utah quiver
is a 150 ltr board, a 110 ltr board, and a 70 ltr board, and I have sails
9.5, 6.5, 5.5, 4.7, 4.2, 3.7. My Columbia Gorge quiver is a 95 Ltr
board, an 80 Ltr board, and a 70 Ltr board with sails 6.7, 5.5, 4.7, 4.2,
3.7, 3.2.

I spend 90% of my time using an 80 ltr board, and 5.5-3.7, in winds
from 20-40Mph.

Does this address your questions better?

-Craig

Nickinmd wrote:
Looked at their site...........at those rates I'd get lessons but no board this year. We have a resort area 50 miles up the road where they are and its all tourist trap crap up there. I actually have no desire to do sup..........see guys doing it at our beaches but no sailors. Did read at the first link on that board however and the guys seem to love it. I do intend on doing waves and they said its made for that and low wind.......sounds perfect.

Used gear it would seem is rare here at decent prices, if at all. Not sure, but, am I asking in the right place for some of the info I'm after? Min size board/max size board and what size sails for the wind we have here. That's why I included the info that I did. I started doing overtime for the funds.......it will take a long time to make that kind of money. I don't want to spend 3 months of overtime money on something that I won't be able to use, either due to my size/area.
Nickinmd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Craig, those were the answers I needed. I didn't just decide I wanted to do this yesterday<not being a smartazz>. I figured I needed at least two boards as we either have the wind......or we don't. I was hoping that I could use the sails on both boards and intended on picking you guys brains on the ins and outs on that P.

I have a unique situation. I work at the prison.....so I work 7on3off and 7on4off. Plenty of time to put in when I start. I just wanted to know what to lookout for used gear. The one piece used local right now is this. Looks to be the smallest I'll be able to go.

http://www.delmarvalife.com/classifieds/category/276/Other/listings/82009/bic-techno-sailboard.html

Good link for the store btw. Don't know much about prices for gear.....but looked cheap to me. Guess I'll get on the hunt for gear....Thanks for the help.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Nick,

That board will be very small to learn on, in fact, I would say too small.
112 ltrs would float 246 lbs, so there's you at 185, and your wetsuit and
harness at about 4, and your rig at about 20. and your board at about 20,
so 229, which the board will float, but just barely, and will make it really
tippy for learning. Plus, learning is greatly expidited by having a
centerboard. You're not going to see a centerboard in any board
that small.

It would make a great 2nd board once you get past the beginner stage,
but that board will want 15 to 28 MPH of wind to be any fun. If you had
a constant 15 to 28, and somebody to show you how to waterstart, you
might could learn on that board, or you might just quit in disgust.

It looks to be in good shape and an excellent deal, but you might want to
buy something bigger, to make sure you want to commit to the sport,
before you buy your second board 1st. ;*)

-Craig

Nickinmd wrote:
Looks to be the smallest I'll be able to go.

http://www.delmarvalife.com/classifieds/category/276/Other/listings/82009/bic-techno-sailboard.html

Good link for the store btw. Don't know much about prices for gear.....but looked cheap to me. Guess I'll get on the hunt for gear....Thanks for the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: