myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fanatic 115 Freewave- adding to my Fanatic 85 Freewave-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bthiel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Fanatic 115 Freewave- adding to my Fanatic 85 Freewave- Reply with quote

I have added a brand new Fanatic 115 Freewave to compliment my 85 liter Fanatic 85 Freewave. I wanted more sailing days. I weigh 165# / 75kg.
I also love to ride in the ocean, waves or no waves, so I will be able to uphaul the 115 liter and plane off in 13knots. I can't wait to get wet and planning. It is a stubby, too. Rolling Eyes

Has anyone sailed the 115 liter?

Tiger 5.8-6.3 Ezzy Wave 4.2-5.0( 6.3 FOR SALE)
See you on the water- Boyd
wilanz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. My buddy Rob down here in South Florida has one. I've seen him fly on it and he recommend I get one to compliment the SUP for high wind days. He also has a Fanatic ProWave, too.

Looking forward to seeing the responses.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode the '08 104FSW a bit. Nice for 6.2 sails, too big for anything smaller, but too small for my 7 meter sails. Big float, but not early planing with 7's, pumping the 6 planed earlier.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add that my XXX109 works fine for sails from 4.5 thru 6.5, but over that, a slalom or freeride board planes up much quicker.
So 13 mph is well out of the equation for anything less than wide flat boards and 8+ sails.
Plenty of Formula sailors saying they still need 12mph to plane up and go the slightest angle upwind. That's with 100cm boards and 10 meter sails.
bthiel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the 115 yesterday. The south thermal came in and I sailed it with the 6.3 ezzy wave. The wind was building. AT first the water looked "excited" and had little white caps. I am not a great judge of how strong it was, I could water start and I would think it was blowing 13-14 whatever. The new board reacted to a few pumps and an off wind direction. It was a joy to be on a 115 compared to the 85 liter with my biggest 6.3 sail and not having to constantly be aware of planning or not.

boardsphoto-1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  14.8 KB
 Viewed:  20084 Time(s)

boardsphoto-1.JPG

motogon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW: how is your new board? Like it? Does it work in waves?
bthiel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

starik333 wrote:
BTW: how is your new board? Like it? Does it work in waves?

The 115 vs the 85 liter Fanatic Freewave is a completely different board. I just got a new Ezzy 6.3 Tiger which is MUCH better than my 3 or 4 year old 6.3 Ezzy SE. The difference is very noticeable I liked the 5.8 Tiger so much I decided to buy the new sail. It has a much lighter feel and is more balanced in it's overall feel.
Waves in NJ have not shown up with these last three south winds. If I only consider the open ocean south wind waves I love the extra volume for planning in the wind holes. There was no need to milk the wind. Now the 85l still needs more time in the ocean for me plus more wind and the right sail for the day. Sunday, very windy, I had rigged the 5.8, was overpowered and had trouble getting tuned in. I should have used the 115 board and a 5.0. The 85l needed constant sail work to maintain planning off with the wind holes and wave action underfoot. Last Friday,8/3, the first and only day in the ocean with the 6.3 and the 115l. Everything was perfect together. Planning quicker made getting past the white water so easy too.

Live and learn, plus my tendon fell apart. (See my other topic if interested.) It was a good day but seemed like whatever could go wrong did. I plan on using the 115 from now on in the ocean rather than struggling with the smaller board.

bthiel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture of sail and board. I do find this combo fun to ride. I am 160 lb and planning in much lighter conditions. Smiles.

6.3and115Freewave.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  713.72 KB
 Viewed:  19498 Time(s)

6.3and115Freewave.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: