myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jumping in the Gorge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobras

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale is 185, but weight cancels out of the 1/2mv**2 = mh equation, so except when a big guys literally flattens a small ramp (e.g., chop hopping), weight doesn't matter.

Until they land.

Mike \OO/
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"until they land" is the operative phrase.
What goes up, must come down. Going up, Dunks, Albeau, heck, DaveLeahrs (245lbs.) can hit sky shots better than most tykes, but landing, they break. They break their fins, their boards, their booms, their bases, their knees, ankles, hips, wrists.........
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 pages in to this thread and, unless I missed it, no one has talked about timing, compression or pre-jump in the trough? I've got some of my biggest air off of 2-3' chop. You know you hit it right because you feel like you've been shot out of a cannon and get that, "oh sh!t" thought in your head when you leave the top of the lip.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz wrote:
5 pages in to this thread and, unless I missed it, no one has talked about timing, compression or pre-jump in the trough? I've got some of my biggest air off of 2-3' chop. You know you hit it right because you feel like you've been shot out of a cannon and get that, "oh sh!t" thought in your head when you leave the top of the lip.

Yeah it didnt quite go where id hoped, I was looking for all of the things that arent obvious
sailworksman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly more analysis and discussion is needed. To wit, Celilo, the jumpers mecca, happened upon by a bored, and wind starved boy from Vancouver, USA.

(thanks Mark for the vid)

http://youtu.be/BTFSXV9RXD0
tweeky

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz wrote:
5 pages in to this thread and, unless I missed it, no one has talked about timing, compression or pre-jump in the trough? ....You know you hit it right because you feel like you've been shot out of a cannon and get that, "oh sh!t" thought in your head when you leave the top of the lip.

From the 1st page:

tweeky wrote:
Pick a line that gives you plenty of power, yet gives you a good angle to launch off the swell... you may need to round up a bit to line up properly, but don't do so to the point you lose a lot power, you'll just crash. As you approach the ramp, unhook. As you hit the ramp, instead of trying to absorb it with your legs, do the opposite, push into it to get a good launch.

tweeky wrote:
-spot the ramp, -maintain speed and power in your sail, -head for it, -unhook, -compress and launch

tweeky wrote:
I know you're not afraid, but if you don't have at least some "holy sh%t, I can't believe I'm doing this"
mchaco1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres definitely plenty of good advice, I just want more viewpoints and tips Very Happy
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tweeky wrote:
noshuzbluz wrote:
5 pages in to this thread and, unless I missed it, no one has talked about timing, compression or pre-jump in the trough? ....You know you hit it right because you feel like you've been shot out of a cannon and get that, "oh sh!t" thought in your head when you leave the top of the lip.

From the 1st page:

tweeky wrote:
Pick a line that gives you plenty of power, yet gives you a good angle to launch off the swell... you may need to round up a bit to line up properly, but don't do so to the point you lose a lot power, you'll just crash. As you approach the ramp, unhook. As you hit the ramp, instead of trying to absorb it with your legs, do the opposite, push into it to get a good launch.

tweeky wrote:
-spot the ramp, -maintain speed and power in your sail, -head for it, -unhook, -compress and launch

tweeky wrote:
I know you're not afraid, but if you don't have at least some "holy sh%t, I can't believe I'm doing this"

Ah there it is! I had to laugh when I saw that we both referenced "Holy Sh!t" and "Oh Sh!t" for that feeling. Very Happy

dcfordo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Celilo clip Dale.

Watch what happens when he hits a gust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqjM68ZRg70
skyhigh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Jumping in the Gorge Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
Im getting better in the straps and want to move onto some new things... Time to try some jumping Very Happy Ive messed around with it a little bit but want to get some various tips and suggestions on chop jumping, swell jumping and swell riding in general in the Gorge. Im sure plenty of you guys have some good techniques to share and just suggestions in general on what to do with all those bumps and swells when your cruising on the river Smile
Nice to hear you
ve mastered the footstraps Smile . Get up maximum speed with control and launch!!!!!! Riding swells and rollers are much easier on the body, go get it while your still young!!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: