myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mast track to footstrap measurment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one bolt. this board has a huge track, but lots of others do not. i do not like the double bolt alt. that's my gig. it's easier for me to make the habitual effort to get the single bolt tightened than it is to give up the convenience of adjustments and range of them as well.

thanks for every bit of support from others concerning our resident trolls.

the windSUP has equal emphasis for both wind and SUP. i choose to not SUP, since i've been slogging out into side shore winds as low as 3 knots, with higher puffs, for 5 months on the windSUP, and for years on other boards.

yup, advice from short boarders based in the gorge should be weighed with a great deal of discretion concerning this particular board. i feel as though i may have more TOW in the western hemisphere than, perhaps, anyone else.

board widths seem to effect the boom heights to foot strap and base placements. fins have some measure in this geometry too.

i dislike some designers' geometries. those with heavy emphasis on waist harness and standing straight up over the foot straps in particular, are the ones i like least.

to have the to weed out trolls is to be expected now? any mystery as to who they are, send me a pm.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My stated measurements, 23" from center of front strap, is for slalom boards well powered used by expert sailors, not beginners or otherwise.
If you set a board for beginners, it will be different, as will the setup of a wave board or slashing board, bump or freestyle board.
Freerider's usually sail less powered, so maybe 21-22" is just fine.
Slalom setup is presupposing a 150 lbs rider in winds of 17-28mph using a 6.5 4 cambered wide sleeve sail or slalom racing purposes not 4 our cruises.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I can move my 2 bolt base back a max of 4", that gets me to 21" which should work.
The mast track is 14" long but to make the footstraps workable the mast must be at the very back or near the very back of the track, so did they put the track too far forward or put the straps too far back?
Seems like the front of the mast track should be about 22" from the center of the forward footstrap setting (measurement according to Zirtraeb)
This way as you go faster everything can move back together.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conclusion; Mast track is about 10" too far forward?
nw30

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
Ok I can move my 2 bolt base back a max of 4", that gets me to 21" which should work.
The mast track is 14" long but to make the footstraps workable the mast must be at the very back or near the very back of the track, so did they put the track too far forward or put the straps too far back?
Seems like the front of the mast track should be about 22" from the center of the forward footstrap setting (measurement according to Zirtraeb)
This way as you go faster everything can move back together.

Switch to a one bolt base and you gain about 1 1/2", that's a lot of change, on any board.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To interject a bit of realism, one of the primary issues of 2 bolt versus single bolt is about the range of adjustment. The value of 2 bolt really gains strength in wavesailing where on has a stout connection is most needed. While there can be an argument for the 2 bolt being safer, and there's a lot of truth in that view, it must be remembered that there's a loss of adjustment length in that choice. However, I've found that a viable adjustment range on most well designed boards is actually quite small, particularly for the normal sized sailor. Quite honestly, at least on my boards, I could use either the 2 bolt or single bolt designs with no problem at all with the range of sails used.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bb, if one where to put the largest sail on the market on the 11'8" windSUP, perhaps the base would be in about the middle. base all the way forward when anticipating sub-planing for the entire sesh is not out of the question.

no, the foot straps are not too far aft. straighten your front arm, push down on the boom. step back. the foot straps are actually a bit too forward for my tastes when using the inboard inserts.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I move the mast to the back of the track from the center where it is now, that 4" (on a two bolt, could be 5 1/2" on a one bolt) is about how far away I am from getting in the straps so it should work.
If the center of the track is as far forward as one would ever put the mast with the largest sail sub planing out of the straps you would have to figure that they put the track about 7" too far forward.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One interesting note, Exocet has a new 10' windsup, when you compare the PDF's from both boards the distance from the front straps to the mast track is much shorter on the smaller board.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When talking about mast track position for SUP stuff, it's a different story than pure windsurfing setups.
SUP's are generally powered up very lightly, biggest a 5.5 usually, while in the same winds, a Formula with 10.5, slalom with 8 meters, freeride with 7.5's.
Smaller non cam non racing sails can use shorter distance between feet and mast track.
Shorter distance generally allows for quicker turns, useful in surf sailing condition in light winds.a
Some very good Formula sailors use about 25.5 in from center of front foot strap to mast base.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: