myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Berky
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justall

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Berky Reply with quote

When riding bikes with my wife and daughter today, I saw a Berky on a roof rack at Herring Cove beach. While it no longer is my go-to board, I have a cherished Berky, too. Any one of you the proud owner? Makes me wonder how many Berkys are out there ... How about a show of hands if you still have one.
DeanWithrow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I love stories...
Berky was the love of my quiver for many years. When mated with a 6.5 it was untouchable. Mine now resides at my mom's house on Moody Beach in Maine waiting for a breeze. Great board!

dllee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had I guess the mid sized, about 82 liters and just under 8'.
My housemate had that one and the 8'4"er, at 104 liters, and recently had the bigger one copied by JohnMiller, formerly of ASD.
Tem was well ahead of his time.
RaceboardDude

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way back in the day sailed a few Berky's including the Aerospoon. Light, fast and quick to plane. Last one seen was being used as a bar sign somewhere in the Florida Keys...

So here's what Pat LeMehaute (ex-Berky Composites) is doing now:

http://www.lmshape.com
justall

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my favorite pairing was with a 6.3m; it moved and felt great. Agree that the technology seemed ahead of its time (very lightweight, yet durable). And also great to know what they are up to now.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that article in windsurfing mag that featured photos of lightwind boards shaped by TemBerkstresser? Cutout tails, thru to the deck, like spider legs. Few understood the need for reduced wetted surface on wide, light wind boards. Lo and behold, by 2000, everyone knew you need cutouts on the wide boards to maintain trim thru chop at planing speeds.
Those days, lots of sub 13 lbs boards, from Hypertechs to Preisters, Seatrends thru RoqueWaves, and tons of different companies.
My 1986 9'x23" Seatrend slalom, around 100 liters, barely weighed 12 lbs with pads.
BrucePeifer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: berkey composits , Reply with quote

i had the honor of working at berkey for 2 years, pat was an engineer , he would come to work with 2 pages of math formula and tell me this is the board were building today. 8 hours later we were outback at the moorings testing it. calvert sails was behind us and they did prototype sails for aerotec . what a crummy job.
i have currently 4 berkey boards, all wicked protos, 11 pound all carbon
10.6 , 14 pound carbon course 250liter, 86 liter wave , we did them in a 10 ton press with liquid 2 part expansion foam,
ive been thinking of selling since my world has gone to motorycle riding but maybe one day the kids will want to try.
justall

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that's pretty cool. Did you help build the Berky 295?

Also, was the company name Berkey and the short name for the board Berky, without the 'e'?

Yeah, I'm keeping mine, though it hasn't seen the water for years. I was thinking of giving it a fresh paint job at some point; that would probably make it look like some new prototype, when in fact its ancient by today's standards. I thought my daughter might like it, but she hasn't caught the fever ... yet.
BrucePeifer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: berky Reply with quote

the name came from the actual owner, not sure what there partnership was.
as for helping build the 295 , that came from pats brain, myself and one other guy did finish after final shaping,
mine is the 288 in full carbon.
there are serial numbers that we kept track of. but i dont know that pat has that info any more.
they were all vacuum bagged , and thin skined with e glass. very tought to make hand made boards that consistant in weight.
justall

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat to know someone who likely helped make my board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: