myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mast track to footstrap measurment
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Mast track to footstrap measurment Reply with quote

In another thread Zirtaeb says "Track position should be set around 22" from center of front straps. Normal slalom position for racer's in closer to 23".
On my Starboard Go 155L it's 15" from center to center on the forwardest front straps and about 20" on the furthest back setting which makes sense because it's a beginners board and people aren't expected to be as powered up.
Now on my Exocet windsup the most forward setting is 25.5" center to center.
I haven't been able to get into the straps they just seem so far back and now that I've measured it, it really is far back, what gives? Confused
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Exocet formula board of mine the mast track has been numbered with distance from the tail. Old style boards have the footstraps placed well back of Zirtaeb's numbers. I did a study of my boards after obtaining the Exocet and reading Monte Spindler's comments on distances. It's in a notebook of mine which I have here.
The Exocet board is 230 cm long and the rear straps are even closer to the rail than the Icon.
Exocet Formula Turbo II 100 cm wide and 155 liters. I have the Chinook double bolt plate set so that the straps are 22" from the middle of the front straps. However, the mast track itself starts 132 cm from the tail. My position would be in the middle of the track.
All the rest of my measurements, however, unless otherwise noted, are from the forward most point of the straps. Zirtaeb's 22" is from the middle of the front straps which adds 3 or 4 inches to my measurements.
80's Wind&Surf Bump&Jump 95-100 liters, Straps 29" from back of mast track which is 60" from tail.
Early 90's HiTech 110 liter, Straps 26" from back of mast track which is 60" from tail.
'93 Mistral Energy 99 liters, Straps 24" from back of mast track which is 55" from the tail. Board length is 274 cm.
The remaining four boards are all 260-262 cm long.
'05 AHD Maui Force 87 liter, Straps 16" from the mast track which is 49" from the tail.
'05-'06 Bic Blast 110 liter, Straps are 16.5" from the rear of the track which is 54" from the tail.
'06 Angulo Sumo 125 liters, Straps are 16.5 inches from the mast track center pin hole (Chinook two bolt) which is 52" from the tail. The center pin hole is 4" from the absolute rear end of the mast track. I spent the most TOW adjusting the position of the mast track pin with this board.
The following board corresponds more to your Starboard Go, but it is not a beginners board by any stretch of the imagination.
'06 Naish Icon 160, forward point of foot straps are 14" from the center pin hole of the mast track which is 50" from the tail. The rear straps on this board are much closer to the rails than the other boards requiring the different dynamic. I may now try to experiment with the mast track position on this board, moving it forward. Nevertheless, you couldn't put a universal down that is 22" from the forward strap. I remember once talking to a guy who had put in a session on the Go a number of years ago. He said it was a great board if all you wanted to do is blast back and forth. The Start is their beginner board. The Icon is a fast flat water blaster 82 cm wide.

Last edited by sailingjoe on Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone will say move the boom higher which will bring the sail further back but the boom is already as high as it can go in the cut out, I'm 6' 5" and it's about shoulder to neck high.
isobras

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own boards shaped by about 10 of the world's top dozen shapers. On none of them could I center the mast more than about 18-20 inches from the front strap centers even if I wanted to. Optimal for me is about 17-18".
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windSUP mast base position best with it all the way back in the track.

for people that want to use foot straps but are having difficulty.

get going with some speed, UNHOOKED, then step back, then put your front foot in the strap, then hook.

for those that have not experienced this problem, please refrain from contradicting me. there are more than a few ways to get stuff done, but in a low wind environment with gusty conditions, this method seems to have worked universally, once the sailor gives it a go.

for those that have more wind and less gusty or choppy conditions, one can try other methods, sure. this FFF method has worked for scores of folks over the years down here in florida.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
isobras

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So has BFF and/or hooking in first.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The emphasis should be on SUP, I guess. I checked one other board I own, the Bic Calypso which was the model board they sold the most of before it went out of production around 2000. The straps are way back like your Exocet near 28 inches. This is the board with which I and a great many people learned how to use foot straps.
bkiggins

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobras wrote:
So has BFF and/or hooking in first.

You sailing windSUP now?
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seems to me like that distance should be more consistent across most boards of the same era.
Feet in the straps, harness hooked in, you would need to be in the same place regardless of the type board, what am I missing? Question
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jingebritsen, are you using a one or two bolt mast base?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: