myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Elite windsurfing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Elite windsurfing Reply with quote

http://thelastword.msnbc.com/_news/2012/08/01/13060806-rewriting-the-gops-idea-of-elitism?lite

Notice the stock photo of a ... kitesurfer
mchaco1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing is so elite and hoity toity that half of the people doing it live in vans like hobos Rolling Eyes
rigitrite

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh good lord....this is Charles Kraphammer bloviating about more non-issues. This is a guy who absolutely believes that torture is good, it works, and we should be using it all the time, because Isreal does and they're the BEST!!!
In the dictionary, next to the word "Smug" is a picture of Kraphammer.

On the other hand, John Kerry did for windsurfing what Gerald Ford did for skiing

sailingjoe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You brought up the wrong subject. I heard Chaney pronounce a slur against Kerry's Windsurfing that made it obvious he thought he was a surfer. They wanted to peg him as a beach bum, not the idle rich. Gerald Ford downhill skied as a recreational diversion late in life. Most men at his age sit and complain. In actuality he was a Boxer and boxing coach at Yale. That's why they made such a big deal about his stumbling. Not because he was a bumbling fool as his enemies wanted to make you think, but because it was probably the first time he ever stumbled.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres another one:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/john-kerry-actually-pretty-good-at-windsurfing-now,6318/

Maybe windsurfing would be more popular if pictures in the media of people windsurfing were actually of people windsurfing Laughing

Strange that they were able to find so many windsurfing terms without coming across a single picture of an actual windsurfer..
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seemed to me that the Kerry article was slanted to poke fun at him. It's ironic that the author of the article doesn't have a clue about the differences are between windsurfing and kiting. I've found that most folks can't really tell the difference between the two sports and the equipment. Hard to believe, but it's true.

Putting all that aside, I have to give Kerry the credit of getting out there and windsurfing or kiting. A commitment in sports has its rewards.

Is he an elitist? No, that's not hitting the mark in my view. Challenging watersports like windsurfing or kiting are truly more eclectic efforts that many can't fathom or grasp. It's more about getting the most out of life doing exciting things. Not everyone out there can understand or do that.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kerry vs. Bush presidential election was extremely close and came down to a few counties in Ohio, I believe. Neither of the candidates this election have an athletic background. I wonder if it isn't considered a liability.
isobras

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:
I wonder if it isn't considered a liability.

Not for Obama. The same bitch who got all wet and gushy over his pecs criticized the hell out of Bush's exceptional fitness regimen (he's serious about his weight lifting and few Secret Servicemen can match him on a mountain bike.)
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bush senior or junior? Actually, no one has mentioned Golf as elitist. I played a lot of golf when younger and worked on courses. Compared to windsurfing, it is expensive. Green's Fees, Memberships, and Cart fees can easily make equipment expenses in W.S. look like chump change. They never seemed to want to use that to make Bush look elitist. Even Obama plays a game once in a while. It's because a large voter block approves.
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golf is only an elitist sport if you choose to make it so.

A municipal course near me has two courses, both rated in the top 50 in the state. As a "senior" walking, which I always do, it's $16 on one course and $18 on the other.

I walk on about 3 days a month and always get matched with some nice golfers. It's good to be retired. Wind = sail; No wind = golf. Windsurfing is a LOT more expensive than golf. One new sail = about a year of golf.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: