myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hatch rescue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobras

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merriam wrote:
There are often ways to self-rescue even with broken gear by getting enough sail up in the air to body drag back. If that doesn't work (or no wind) next option is DE-RIG your sail, lash it with boom and mast to the board and paddle back. In dire situations, if no help is available, dump your rig and paddle the board back.

Or the middle, more versatile, option: leave it rigged in case the wind comes back, lay ot dow3n on the water/board, and start swimming. I've swum tens of miles like that, collectively, in chunks ranging from tens of yards to over a mile. It's more boring than exhausting, if we're prepared and do it right.

Mike \OO/
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: If somebody is screaming for help, somebody stop! Reply with quote

If somebody is screaming for help, somebody stop!

This is not rocket science, nor should it be.
redoak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Steve Yong... Reply with quote

I met Steve in 1990, he gave me his truck and trailer full of gear so I could go sailing down at Crissy Fields - super nice guy!

quote="zirtaeb"]There are the deer in the headlights people.
Then there are guys like my bud SteveYong, all 112 lbs of him, credited with over 20 rescues at CrissyField by 1996. I'd only done 12, but everyone came over and talked to me there by then, as the reputation get's around quickly.
You get good vibes by passing onto other's your good vibes.
Actually, haven't done more than 2 rescues since, since where I sail nowadays, it's easier to sail to shore (less than 2 minutes, commandeer a rescue BostonWhaler, and get back out there within 2 minutes. I've done that over 6 times, but never actually took the whaler, as the rec sup/Dayleaders want some action too.[/quote]
scorpionfish

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happened right off the cove in the hatch east end. The current was flying & no one could have launched from there & pinched quickly enough to catch him. Some people from there raced down river to keep up & yell even further upwind for some assistance. One person (his wife I understand) made it just downriver & dove in to swim to him. At this point he was closer to 50 feet than 50 yards from the rocks. The current was a hindering factor. No excuse for the sailors already in the water & near him. I'm glad it turned out alright.
scorpionfish

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happened right off the cove in the hatch east end. The current was flying & no one could have launched from there & pinched quickly enough to catch him. Some people from there raced down river to keep up & yell even further upwind for some assistance. One person (his wife I understand) made it just downriver & dove in to swim to him. At this point he was closer to 50 feet than 50 yards from the rocks. The current was a hindering factor. No excuse for the sailors already in the water & near him. I'm glad it turned out alright.
merriam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpionfish wrote:

What happened? Was he injured? Anyone competent to sail at the hatch should be able to sail upwind faster than someone drifting down river! 50 feet from the rocks (shore?) couldn't you dog-paddle 50 feet? This is all very confusing, but I'm glad he's okay.
SlightlySalty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion is that just about everyone that sails the Hatch and is capable of rescuing a sailor will help another sailor in a minute. When you're out sailing though, especially on a day like the last few, you may not notice someone broken down. It can be pretty intense out there and with the current running so fast, they are flushed through pretty quickly.
I didn't see this but it sounds to me like the bigger problem is the broken down sailor himself. Unless he was hurt which it sounds like he wasn't, ought to be able to get to the shore, with or without his gear. Ditch the sail if needed and paddle the board. If the guy was 50 feet or 50 yards off the beach....seriously it's not that dangerous. It's not cold, there are no sharks and you can paddle either way and eventually get to shore.
If you are that close to the beach and yelling for help (yes I would have helped in a second if I saw that) you should not be sailing there or anywhere until you are comfortable with the conditions and understand that it's not that dangerous to swim to shore.
jayala

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides the coolness factor is there a technical reason why more people do not wear PFDs? I know I am a dork but I always wear a helmet and PFD and have never felt I was in danger of not reaching the shore. In fact the PFD helps me water start in challenging conditions.
WMP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no guarantee that a PFD or a helmet or any other body armor will help save your life. It all comes down to smart choices. If you feel safer with all this extra gear piled on you... great! Fact is, it can do more harm than good in certain situations. PFD prevents you from swimming under water if you get run over by a barge. Yes indeed, a helmet can cause injuries... it happened to me.

I was nearly killed in the same area this person was in, but the accident happened in the middle of the river on a wild 3.7 day. Someone was sailing out of control and had let go of their rig and it hit me in the back of my neck which knocked me unconscious. I was told that I was laying face down in the water when the guy who hit me pulled me up onto my board. Someone else stopped to see that everything was alright. I just remember how peaceful it was and being asked if I could make it to shore. Next thing I know I'm standing in the parking lot being asked who the president of the United States was.... was it that idiot Bush or slime bag Clinton? Dang, I was forced to come out of my peaceful state of mind and get back into the real world.

So, what saved me? Staying calm. I had sailed myself back to shore and carried my gear up to Cheap Beach without any assistance while completely unaware of my situation.
Georges

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no respect whatsoever for any sailor ( boat, kite, windsurfer) who makes no attempt to help someone screaming for help no matter how insignificant they
'Think' the problem is and it is contrary to all maritime law.
To all who where there and did nothing you are an insult to the windsurfing community.Gman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: