myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Motorcycle accident at Swell?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jksurf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Motorcycle accident at Swell? Reply with quote

Anyone know what happened at Swell this week when a motorcycle hit a car backing out?
hilton08

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.columbian.com/news/2012/jul/28/motorcyclist-dies-crash-near-bingen/
H2OJoe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't a car backing out. It was a truck stopped waiting to turn in, with turn signal on, and the bike ran into the back of him. Very sad for all concerned.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Danger zone between Tunnel 4 and Button Bridge! Reply with quote

(Yes, Button Bridge is the name of the Hood River to White Salmon bridge).

Two weeks ago, I saw my life flash before my eyes, heading east about 1/4 mile from the Hatchery. An oncoming car, traveling westward, veered into my lane and bounced off the guard rail, about 50 yards in front of me. Fortunately, he recovered to veer/bounce back into his proper lane as we passed. I got a good look at him; a morbidly obese fisherman type (my best guess), possibly drunk or having a diabetes/blood sugar issue or both.

The point of my story is this stretch of road is about as dangerous as it gets, especially July/August. I would not mind seeing the speed limit dropped to 45mph in this area. Why? Let me count the reasons: drunken fishermen, drunken/endorphined/fatigued windsurfers, bikes in Tunnel 4, tourists gawking at Mt. Hood/Columbia River, cars pulling in and out of fishing/gawking/windsurfing areas, impatient windsurfers tailgating, turnoff slowdowns into Underwood Rd/Troutlake direction, a blind pull-out from Cheap Beach, other stuff I cannot recollect right now. Oh yeah, almost forgot: "smart" phones.

I put my emergency flashers on FAR in advance whenever I am about to make a turn or pull-out.

Extra caution is warranted in this area! Your senses should be on high alert here, in my humble opinion.
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, Biff. Too much to look at in the corridor.

I'm very sad for the family of the motorcyclist! Terrible accident!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: