myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Olde Skool Rufus
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericandholly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point I am really sorry I started this post. If anyone goes to the greater Rufus corridor and it sets up at 27 mph with the usual wind direction parameters I'd appreciate a pm.

I don't appreciate racist middle school jokes, nor insipid, holier than thou unsolicited advice. Start your own thread for that.
jota

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the iWindsurf forum - at least it's just one guy for the most part, but it does get really tiresome.
isobras

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericandholly wrote:
I don't appreciate racist middle school jokes, nor insipid, holier than thou unsolicited advice. Start your own thread for that.

I'll let Johnny be the judge of any racist intent. He has a sense of humor.

Unsolicited? You expressly asked us to take our time to offer you our opinions. Mitch and I offered specific, on-topic, thorough, useful insight. If you and jota are tired of that, what are you here for ... one-liner non sequiturs? People to set aside their fun to go online and be responsible for notifying Eric&Holly where the wind is at that moment so you don't have to learn anything? Gingrich and I try to help you understand the place so you can make your own, informed decisions like everyone else does, yet you throw that aside and demand that others do all your thinking for you? Do you not go windsurfing unless someone gives you a phone call or PM and their permission? Is your time too precious to pick up your cell phone or tap your computer mouse occasionally and look at the data yourself rather than asking others to do it for you? Damn ... I wish I had some lackeys to do my thinking for me; think of the time, gas and brain cells I could save ... NOT! Think of all the windsurfing you miss by depending on others to lead you by the nose.

Mitch and I tried to teach you how to fish, but we're not gonna bait your hook or gut, scale, cook, season, and spoon feed your catch to you.

Now, just who is holier than thou?

You need Wind Alert, not a bulletin board.

phbtphbtphbtphbt
ericandholly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked for this,

"Looking for a Gorge seasoned windsurfer to post up with a legitimate "Dude you missed it" for Rufus swell."

No amount of self righteous prose on your end will alter the request of my original post, nor that you somehow feel it's okay to use a racial slur on a public forum. It is offensive, innaproriate, childish, and basically 100% not okay. This is true regardless of how John feels about it A racial slur is by its very nature directed at a race. You have no idea what my ethnicity is, nor that of many others who may be following this thread. You put something like what you wrote on the net and it goes to everyone. In the future my unsolicited advice to you is not to post bs like that. If you don't agree, please do so on your own thread.

I think it's also fair to say that me calling your advice insipid is not cool and I apologize for that. I will leave it with your advice is not something I was seeking. I do not find it useful. It did not meet the criteria of my stated objective. That is still kind of rude.

Eric

I did get some useful eye witness pm's from folks I used to sail out there with which I appreciate.
isobras

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great; we're happy for you. But do you not see that you used a public forum, everyone's time, and several people's effort to get some broadly useful information you're keeping to yourself, and used the opportunity to get in a few unwarranted insults to boot?

Definition of Nipponese: Japanese. How is "Akagi" (or Johnny in particular) Jewish, Norwegian, southern U.S. redneck, gay, angry, etc. (all labels, BTW, various people have inferred, with and without validity, to me ... with zero offense taken)?

If that, or a shortening thereof obviously intended as a non-racial joke, is racist, then so is inferring that someone is African-American, a Yank, a Canuck, an Aussie or Ozzie, a black, an illegal alien, etc. One almost always has to consider context. Is "Jew", for example, a racial slur?

I appreciate ... and the people here are fortunate ... that rather than calling me a racist you legitimately lectured me on the issue, but I disagree with you in this case and context. IMO, the only person qualified to stand in judgment of my specific comment is Johnny. I'll ask him next time I see him whether the comment offends him. As for your ethnicity, I don't care what it is. We need to stop introducing or considering race in every decision we make and every word we utter. In particular, the Left is adding fuel to the fire by constantly using the race card as a weapon, especially when it's based on absolutely nothing. It is extremely offensive and divisive all by itself when played out of turn. I also suspect that most Japanese who still take visceral offense at the word "Nip" regardless of context are older than I (born in 1943), and thus not likely to be reading this forum. There are far more current, fanned, and inflammatory N-words to worry about ... one of which I grew up around even before it became universally intended as a slur.

I apologize most profoundly if you found my attempts to help you predict and discern good windsurfing opportunities without relying on others to be "righteous". I can't and won't apologize for Mitch's equally grievous error, but we both mistakenly assumed you wanted useful insights so you wouldn't have to be so dependent on others. I also want to know when the Maryhill current is amenable to swell, but would never impose on others to take time out of their mad rush to get on the water to notify me of an ongoing happening, and would place little faith in the duration or broader applicability of that happening unless supported by meteorological factors. IOW, one great sesh don't mean squat about the next one.

You can stop reading now; the rest is for lurkers who want to score some Eureka! moments and days, or at least join some great lemming stampedes. You have your answers, E&H, and found some willing hand-holders, so I'm going to offer others some motivation, but not trade secrets, to look beyond the lemmings.

Even in today's digital world, there are still coups awaiting WSers with some insight and initiative. One does not score summertime solo or near-solo 3-hour sessions at the Hatchery on a 4.7, alone at Doug's hammered on a 3.2 for 6 hours, Rufus fully powered on a 3.7 without ONE other person in sight for 6 hours, undiscovered launches, and long sessions virtually or fully alone on classic swell at those and other locations by waiting for tweets from the crowd. What those tweets get us is ... crowds ... and not necessarily happy ones if conditions change during the drive. It's much more important to most of us to actually catch those Eureka! days rather than to hear from someone else how good they were. Most of us would rather SAY than hear, "Dude; you missed it!"

Unfortunately, I'm not going to reveal exactly how and where and why I've snagged those and many such coups, but they were achieved by informed fishing, not relying on crowd noise or jousting with packs of hyenas feeding on a carp carcass. Using one's head, initiative, gas money, and the many forecasting resources at our disposal can find gold mines now and then.

Few of you can imagine how many times I see packs of desperate lemmings arrive at any given site after the good stuff, whine about the wasted drive, and leave before the even better stuff. For both sociological and meteorological reasons, that's not rational. When conditions are a-changing, we often snag victory from defeat by running in the opposite direction from the lemmings. Understanding what's going on ... far beyond chasing tweets or gusts yet far short of Godsey's level of comprehension ... has huge payoff potential.

This place would be FAR less contentious if more people concentrated on WSing, ignored unintended slights and inconsequential errors, and left the explicit and deliberate personal BS to the handful of people who demonstrate and/or know little else.

Mike \OO/
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the new ISOBRAs name was a jokester. I'm not sure now after reading this. Only Fick can be this big of an asshole and not care!

I was at the Gorge for 6 weeks this year and didn't sail the Wall for the first time ever. I looked at it twice, but the wind just seemed too North and the current reports were not very encouraging!

Arlington, on the other hand, delivered for me 5 times! One session, it was only me on the windsurfer with 5-6 kiters. Orzak and I shared several waves and stoke right off the Arlington point.

It was also nice not to see all the fishing net bouys there this year. They all seemed to be East of the elevators.

Missing the Gorge as it just keeps blowing every freaking day!
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars to isobras. Nothing has really changed. He still has a real knack for getting into trouble here. Yet in his mind, he's never responsible for causing it. It's always the fault of others.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douchebag
westender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some old farts joking around. The kids nowadays don't even know what you're talking about if you say Nip. I thought it was a funny inside joke.

20 years ago someone poked me in the ribs and pointed to John and said he got big air. I've actually only seen him standing around parking lots so I'm taking their word for it.

If I went to a Kiting forum asking for advice and people there knew I was a windsurfer, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the responses were less than serious.

Sorry to interrupt your argument.

And,, That's Mr. Douche-bag.

scottwerden

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove out to the Wall this afternoon even though I was skeptical of the sensor reading, but I have not sailed there once this year and really was hoping the corridor blast would end up there. It was reporting 26g30 but Maryhill was reporting 22g26, which made me suspicious. When I got there, only one sailer was out, downwinding from somewhere. A few kiters on big kites. That sensor at the Wall is way out of whack from my view point. Maryhill sensor seems much closer to reality, today at least.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: