myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Compare and contrast these boards (if you don't mind)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmf wrote:
U2U2U2 says

"2009 is too old, to use as a reference

I disagree with 10Liters difference being comparable in the same board range.
My 87 /97 Liters Tabou 3S sssss "

Of course a 94 litre board is going to be different than an 85 ltr. board. Duhh. But in a manufactures line of freestyle wave boards, the ride, and feel and the emphasis of the boards are going to be similar. Generally, RRD FSW boards are smooth and easy to ride, no matter what their volume. JP FSW boards are tuned to more performance, faster, quicker to plane, and a much more direct feeling to the board, a harder ride, no matter what the volume. Quatro boards are wave oriented rather than speed oriented. That is what one can get from the tests.
None of these boards has changed significantly in three years. They are all still aimed to be an all around board... in their particular displacement range....despite all of the ongoing marketing efforts to convince us otherwise.

KMF

the OP is looking at boards that are 95LITERS, not 85LITERS

the boardseeker test you quote is for 85Liters, dahhhhhhhh, then you say the boards will be different, but the feel and the emphasis is going to be similar, not from my experience . Using boards that were tested in 2009
is not a reliable reference to 2012. Generally , you say all FSW are smooth and easy to ride, why bother with a test at all, just pick one.
OH really

looking at just the Starboard Kode size 94Liters:

2009 237 X 62 tail width 40.2
2010 237 X62.5 tail width 40.4
2011 237 X 62.5 tail width 38.6
2012 234 X 61 tail width 38.6

the 2012 board from '09 is shorter and max width less and tail as well,
How can you say that they haven't changed ?

the Goya ONE has a similar change from 09 to 2012

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The O.P. mentioned the Exocet Cross 94. For what it's worth ... with many boards to choose from, both old and new shapes, the Exo 94 litre Cross 11 2008 year board is my 'come back to' board of that size for 'do it all' stuff with 5 to 6 metre sail sizes.

It's not the most exciting board, nor is it the most engaging board, but, for me, it has that effortless just get on with it and don't fight the board quality when things get difficult. (Unlike say J.P. FSW's.) It is also quite fast for a cross type board. (29.6 m.p.h. on a reach in choppyish water a couple of days ago without really going all out for it.)

Trouble is, they never leave well alone, do they! Each year has to be 'improved'. I don't think so. Wink
IBaKiteboarder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulf. wrote:
put the list on a wall and throw a dart, you can't go wrong. all are power box so you should be all set on fins,, all are way shorter than your flow so will be harder to tack and schlog for a few times out. all have the mast track way farther back in the board, so if you are used to resting boom on the tail in waterstart youll have to learn how to fly the sail properly. this aspect may also require upgrade to more recent, upright sail design, depending on current vintage.

Thanks. Yes, I upgraded my sails about a month ago. I'm now on a small quiver of Gaastra Poisons from 4.2-5.8. Then I make a jump to a 7.5 GTX on a bigger board.

What I'm thinking I will do is have a board for my 5.0-5.8 and a smaller one for the 4.2-5.0. The new 95L will be for the 5.0-5.8 range. Up until now my Flow has been my only small board and it gets out of hand when using the small sails (besides being an older design).
kmf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little too much caffeine today U2U2?

Get a grip now....

KMF
paulf.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, as pointed out Kode 94 will have a short US box, not power. there was talk of larger Kodes getting power, but not happened. only PB starboard is the now defunct Atom 99.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tabou Rocket 95 is one to look at also. I have the 115 and the 95. That covers most of my needs. I hear good things about 2011 Exocet.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For control and easy jibing, I think the Goya One and probably the Exocet are a step above the rest. The "probably" for the Exo is because I have only sailed bigger versions; but what I hear from others about it was very positive.

The 95 l Fanatics tend to be more speed-oriented and direct. I love Fanatics, but it's a different feeling than the Goya One and Exocets.

If you can buy a board that you actually tried and liked, buy that one. Similar boards from other brands may differ in a way that you don't like. If you sailed a board from a different year, keep in mind that some companies (Starboard) sometimes make drastic changes from year to year, while others (Fanatic, Goya, Exocet) usually make much smaller changes. But look at specs and descriptions - while the Fanatic Hawk from 2011 feels a lot like the one from 2006, the 2012 Skate has changed a lot from the 2011.

One board you could add to your considerations if the Tabou 3S 95. I sailed it Avon this spring, and it was the most comfortable and fun board I've been on for years. Check with Andy at Wind-NC if he still has one to demo.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the most fantastic features of nearly every exocet i've ridden from slalom to wave, including all those variations of free ride, FSW, budget construction, etc, is the superior handling at way higher wind ranges than the original intent of their hull designs. this has been achieved without the expense of early planing, or top end speeds.

just had a session last sunday, 7/22/2012, at calema where the wind SUP 10'x32" staying in control with a 4.7 in 40-60 mph winds....

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
spennie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents worth: I've owned 3 Exocets for quite a while, now, and love all 3. Had a Universal wave long ago and loved it, too. Something a lot of these guys aren't talking about is construction; the Exos are very well built. I know, I know, they're built in the same factory as ________ boards, but I guess their specs are higher, and I've never had a problem with any of my Exos, despite weighing 208 and riding hard, including a lot of jumping.

They have a softer ride, too -- I originally switched because my JPs were beating the hell out of me in chop.

dougbrady

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2009 ltd 90 and 2012 ltd 116 fsw rrd and love both of them . Rrd is hard to beat dakine straps , mfc fin and best pads in industry. The 2012 is new shape and rocks very short and wide 10cm shoter than last year

The paint job is awesome an construction is light but still tough
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: