myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SF Southbay Redwood City - Zen Sailing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailwave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: SF Southbay Redwood City - Zen Sailing Reply with quote

A little video of sailing in Redwood City harbor and channel.

http://youtu.be/X5tvFkrGY9U
airwave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the better helmet cam videos I have seen. Nicely done.
SwellRipper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Seaport launch Reply with quote

Sailwave, nice video!

Is that launch shown at the end of Seaport Blvd "legal". Would be nice to have an alternative to Dumbarton Bridge which has been closed for awhile due to construction activity, and I'm not sure will OK to use after done. Dumbarton has been useful in the past when 3rd is shutdown on SW days.

Also for those of us not familiar with bigger gear, can you give us a rundown on the equipment you were using. Thanks, and happy sailing!

sailwave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Seaport launch Reply with quote

SwellRipper wrote:
Sailwave, nice video!

Is that launch shown at the end of Seaport Blvd "legal". Would be nice to have an alternative to Dumbarton Bridge which has been closed for awhile due to construction activity, and I'm not sure will OK to use after done. Dumbarton has been useful in the past when 3rd is shutdown on SW days.

Also for those of us not familiar with bigger gear, can you give us a rundown on the equipment you were using. Thanks, and happy sailing!

Well, the Seaport launch is a publicly used space, but privately owned I believe, not sure though. The security guard for the office buildings out there has hassled me once. I think this needs to get elevated and officially approved by the business park. The public flys kites, ride bikes, hangs and fishes out there, why can't we put in and sail away?

I was on a 170 liter formula board + 65cm fin and using a 7.8m sail (orange) or a 6.8m sail (blue+orange) cambered sails. I don't use real formula sails, too big, techy and the mast socks are so volumous ( not Zen).
sailwave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airwave wrote:
One of the better helmet cam videos I have seen. Nicely done.
Gracias amigo, let me know if you want to see a few more.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great cam video, captures the wide open peacefulness of a session there.

I've sailed there a few times, so a couple comments:

The grass is great for rigging and I've never been hassled.

People who avoid the short upwind stretch of slough to the harbor channel by carrying gear or rigging in the adjacent industrial waterfront area have occasionally been bothered.

The video was taken at high tide which works best. Low tide can close out the slough by the rigging area.

At less than high tide you need to watch out for a sandbar just under water to the south of the channel opening into the bay. Discovering it at speed was undesirably exciting.
beallmd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice; using the boats for perspective adds a lot. Usually we just see other windsurfers. I'll try to learn from that with my GOPRO.
Just a quick thought; I hit a "heavy line" behind a fishing boat off the Maui Sunset, Kihei, Maui. It was a heavy metal line and just about took off my fin, I don't know what they were trolling for; sharks? Something big and near shore, not out in deep water. I try to pay attention to that now. Again, just a thought.
naylor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool video. I sailed that area a few times back in the early eighties but just after that they banned windsurfing in the channel due to too many windsurfers clogging up the waterway. I doubt if anyone would care anymore if just a few random sailors were out. Looks like fun!
windward1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Too many windsurfer? Reply with quote

That's a kick. Windsurfers were banned because there was too many of them!!!??? Now they are on the endangered species list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: