myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sailing Sherman on a flood?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a mindset.
I used to stay at Paia and pinch up to Hookipa to wave sail, then sail back down alone. Hated the Paia to Kanaha downwinder.
I can sail my slalom board from Berkeley's lowest pier to the moored barges in about 25 minutes. That's 90 liters with a 30 cm fin.
But if you're stuck sailing a pure sideoff wave board, 21cm fin, and tiniest sail possible, maybe not.
spennie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timwnitram:

Good one! Thought I was the only one who did that, it works great.

swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree spennie. I happen to like the flood conditions. You just need the right equipment and mindset to enjoy it.

At the Delta, the effects of the tides really does change things. I've found sailing at sites where the wind and current can be at odds that the effect on the fin is completely different than on the coast in the ocean. Strong ebbs in the Delta, or at places like Rufus in the Gorge when they suddenly release a lot of water from the dam just up river, adds a factor that you have to understand and work with to have the best outcomes. Admittedly, for me, I sometimes have a hard time adjusting, because it's not the norm, and all the jumping is sometimes a bit much. I'm an old guy, so going for abandon can have its consequences.
spennie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler:

Just turned 57, I know how you feel!

89Spring

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when we lived in the keys I would launch in the bottom of a big round bay with a on shore breeze blowing a gail. I would sail on a 75ltr wave board and weed wave fin. To get out of the bay I started going into "upwind mode" front foot out of the strap and right next to the back foot still in the strap straight legs and angle the body forward with lots of load on the mast step. I can sail upwind on little gear really well this way. Granted you are not jumping and it cN be a handful depending on sea state but it works. I would not want to sail this way all day but it can get you were you want to go with smaller gear. Like others have said use bigger gear primarily a bigger straighter fin with some cord thickness to it. The fin is what really gets you upwind. A straighter with more cord will produce more lift while a thinner foil with more rake will be faster and looser. Different foils will really change a board. Mix and match and you can find some great combos to suit different conditions and still be on small fun gear.
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: BFF??? Reply with quote

OMG. That implies BFF!!!! Are we kicking off the next 10,000?
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries with isobars. He was hitting the wall at 9999, so he had to adjust. It's his new incarnation that you need to think about. Just check how many posts he's made so far.

What do you think about his new screen name and internet signature? If isobars' past one was a stylized version of the shaka, what's his new statement.

isobras? Is isobars offering a tits up statement? One has to wonder. He explained the earlier one, so maybe it's time to characterize his new signature. The way that I look at it, he has an obligation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: