myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Questions for Windfind

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Questions for Windfind Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Questions for you:

1. On the Natural Bridges Graph for iWindsurf there is a blue dash-dot line of the predicted wind. It seems pretty accurate for the rising wind. Often misses the falling wind. Is way more accurate than anything that shows on WindAlert. What model is used to create that prediction?
2. Why not use that same model for the predictions done as bar charts on WindAlert?
3. Today when clicking on the site to get the graph, the WindAlert graph shows up instead of the iWindsurf graph. Clicking back and forth between Classic and Dynamic graphs will eventually bring up the iWindsurf graph. What's up with that? Just started yesterday or today.

Thanks for all your hard work and your informative posts. I think many windsurfers are amature meteorologists and like getting some of your insight into the building of predictions.

Windward1
windfind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Windward 1

Just a quick response since the wind is building fast and yesterday I was on a 3.7 then 3.2!!

1. The blue line is from the 8 km WRAMS model which weatherflow operates. Normally models are run by supercomputers but by only covering really tiny areas rather than the entire globe we pull it off. In many patterns it will be the most accurate model in NW wind. The problem with the blue line is that it is a point forecast. And if the winds are modeled to be just a few miles to the west the blue line will show weak winds while in fact all you need is a bit of inland warming to bring the winds to shore. So are better off using the Windalert map forecast feature since it gives you a better idea of the nearby winds.

2. There appears to be a new bug that is interfering with the presentation of the WRAMs data on some versions of our pages. Worse the map is not showing the NW wind as close as it should be to the Santa Cruz coast. I will report the issue to IT.

We use the professional versions of these tools and often don't notice bugs like these for all the regions of the USA.

Mike
mike@iwindsurf.com

ZZ594CD207.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  655.81 KB
 Viewed:  11213 Time(s)

ZZ594CD207.jpg

ctuna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: There is a bunch of stuff missing from the normal graphs. Reply with quote

I am using the new format and to today there are none of the control
functions at the top of the graph no options and the NWS report is not showing on any of the graphs .
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Follow up questions for windfind Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the explanations, but there is a discrepancy. You indicate that the prediction for Natural Bridges that is fairly consistently correct is the 8km WRAMS model. However, in iWindsurf graphs it is always different than the one labeled that in the Wind Alert graphs. For instance, for today, 7-29-2012, Wind Alert shows the wind peaking at about 8 mph.. iWindsurf shows it peaking at about 22 mph. It is 8 AM in the morning and it is already almost past the Wind Alert model.

I know you hjave said that the WindAlert pages are newer, more maintainable software and I would think you are looking for everyone to convert over to Wind Alert so that iWindsurf can be abaondoned. But in my case I am in a position to lose the best doggone prediction I have for a local site.

Please investigate and determine the 8km WRAMS discrepancy and make the Wind Alert predict as well as the iWindsurf graph. Natural Bridges is not covered by the human meteorologist.

This has significance to others that windsurf Natural Bridges and while a small group at present, it seems to be growing and could at any point be discovered by the Bay Area folk looking for reliable wind when there isn't any elsewhere.

Windward1
spennie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While staying at Rio Viento recently, I noticed that these forums got very "buggy". Buttons didn't work properly--I'd click "submit" and it would take me to the login page, weird stuff like that. It got really frustrating, so I e-mailed one of the tech guys at iWindsurf, and he worked on it quite a bit over several days, but couldn't find anything wrong on their end. I suspected it was the ISP at Rio Viento, Tengo Internet, but didn't have any way to check.

Right now I'm at home, using the very same laptop computer, and it's working perfectly.

Everything else worked great while I was camping there, just not the iWindsurf Forums. I'm using a fairly new Dell studio PC, very high quality, I had them load it up with all the goodies. I'm running Micosoft Windows 7, and MS Explorer as my browser. I tried switching to Google Chrome, had the same symptoms.

Semi-scientific conclusion: Tengo Internet has problems with PHP programs. If they do, you might too with your provider.

windward1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Problems are recent Reply with quote

Hi Spennie,

My graph problems are recent. I have ATT/Yahoo as a provider and have had them for years. This problem with iWindsurf is new.

I do hope Windfind (Mike) sees my re-iteration of my question regarding the two different 8km WRAMS graphs. That is my biggest concern. If they get it right on Wind Alert, I won't be so concerned about losing iWindsurf.

Windward1
windfind

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Problems are recent Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:
My graph problems are recent. I have ATT/Yahoo as a provider and have had them for years. This problem with iWindsurf is new. I do hope Windfind (Mike) sees my re-iteration of my question regarding the two different 8km WRAMS graphs. That is my biggest concern. If they get it right on Wind Alert, I won't be so concerned about losing iWindsurf.

Hi Windward,

I verified your concern and sent it along with graphics showing the issue to IT in our Fl. office Saturday.

Unfortunately the IT guys have the luxury of not working on weekends so they have not started work on the issue. Windalert.com is a work in progress and there are no plans to drop iwindsurf.com or ikitesurf.com at present.

Mike Godsey
weatherflow.com
iwindsurf.com
ikitesurf.com
sailflow.com
fishweather.com
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Thanks, Mike! Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response. I will be interested in what they find out.

Regards,

Windward1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: