myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Are kiters smarter than windsurfers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this "kiters out in light winds" when the windsurfers are at home doesn't fly in some areas.

Summer winds are really fluky/gusty/variable in Dallas. I have been out three times in the last 7 days an NO kiters were out. To many 0-5 wind holes, but on an 11.0, or 9.2 and a formula board, I had a great time. Yes, there was some slogging and very weird gusts, but overall it was better than being at home. Literally, winds were 0-22 mph on all three days. A kiter literally would have been pulled out of his shorts or flat dead in the water.

If you have light but STEADY winds, then formula and kites are pretty much together on planing, but a kite isn't always the answer.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are right techno, But I would give the edge to kites. I have had formual boards and sail, and they are cool , but to walk down a beach with a backpack and a 160cc twintip, is pretty darn sweet. No picnic bench size board, huge boom, huge mast, huge sail. Its just my opinion and if you are stoked by light wind windsurfing thats great, I had many awesome days on light wind gear without question.
isobras

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once they get past the intermediate stage, most of the kiters I see don't spend much TOW until the WSers are on 5.X sails. They seem to get as jaded as most Gorge WSers pretty quickly.
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to learn to kite when I turn 60.
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My partner opened a kite school to go along with our windsurfing biz.
I was his only student. He was dragged ashore in a big gust and died shortly after.
We tossed all the kite gear out.
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The relatively small kite gear would be sweet to store and transport, but finding a place to launch can be hard.

I have no problem with kites and for those that enjoy it - great.

I don't get stoked by sailing formula gear in 0-20 winds, but given the alternative of not being on the water, getting out with my buddies and sipping a cool one at the end of the session is pretty nice. It's also a good workout for an old dude, since I am pumping by butt off to get going half the time. Not always fun, but nevertheless, good for physical and mental fitness.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would highly recommend a SUP for none wind days , lots of fun, and even better if you can get in some waves.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keycocker, nice seeing you on Maui! Sorry to hear about your partner. I'll be back in October for the AWT event. Hope to see you then.

Kiting is not a great option on Maui in my opinion, because it's so windy there. Kiting is not allowed at Hookipa (practically) and very dangerous elsewhere. Just watch JP at Cloudbreaks vs a kiter on the same day and you'll see why windsurfing is better when it really counts.

Kiters have a huge advantage in 15-18mph. But, when the surf is big, I feel windsurfers have the advantage when it comes to pure wave riding.

SUP or surfing is a great low wind option.
mac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this was laugh out loud funny. From the Coast Guard's Port Safety and Security report for San Francisco Bay:

Quote:
Collision, (26 June): A kite boarder was attempting to jump the wake of a U.S. small passenger vessel when the kite landed on the vessel and became entangled with the antenna. The vessel had 43 passengers onboard at the time. The vessel's crew released the kite from the antenna and recovered the kite boarder from the water. There were no injuries, but there was minor damage to the vessel's boat hook. Case pends.

I guess the kiter was lucky that it was a catch and release party.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, is someone really that stupid? This is why so many beaches have been closed to kiting. Sadly, there is some spill-over to the windsurfing community, as we get lumped together with them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: