myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
teaching an old girl new tricks...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
30knotwind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a lesson, but here are some things to think about in the meantime:

You are stalling because you are weighting the back of the board too much when you try to get in the straps.

Always keep your weight on the front foot--start with it just behind the mast. Control the direction of the board with the back foot--as if the fin is the rudder of a sailboat--by 'sraping dog poop off your back foot', i.e. while keeping your weight on your front foot, scrape the back foot under your butt to go downwind, push it away to go upwind--do not push down on the back foot, just push it forward or pull it backward to steer.

To get in the straps, take baby steps back to the front foot strap, without changing the weight distribution on your feet; feel for the strap and tuck your front foot in--be careful not to overweight the backfoot. Keep your back foot just behind the front strap, do not stand-up on the front foot, push the board away by keeping lots of weight in the harness--long lines help, I tell my wife to 'sit on the water'.

You might try the backstrap first, just be careful not to put any weight on it. Going for the backfoot first reduces catapult risk, but it can be a long stretch.

Also, you may benefit from having a high boom so that when you are ready to get in the straps you can look under your front arm. This stabilizes you, just don't forget to keep your weight off the back foot.

akjindal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lessons with a good instructor are the way to go for stuff like this. Some people eventually figure it out on their own but a good instructor can shave years off that time.

Here is my 2 cents until then. Try to think about keeping your weight off your feet. Keep your weight on the boom then you will be light on your feet. Just keep saying "light feet" to yourself.

Use an overhand grip, elbows stright down and push down with your arms and hands to lighten your feet. Then you can move your feet into the straps and when you want to release your grip put your weight until the harness and not back onto your feet.

This will take practice and balance but once you get it will help in all your sailing. In my opinion - windsurfing is all about the sail - keeping power in it, balancing it, and hanging off of it. The board is just there to keep you above the water.
MrFish

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take lessons. Many people ask their friends, random people on the beach, or anonymous posters on the net, they get all sorts of quality or lack thereof in the answers, and a bunch of totally contradictory stuff. The exception to that is if there aren't any schools in your area.
brettn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing is like salsa dancing. The guy doesn't do much.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.floraslake.com/flw2.html

check out floras lake good place to progress
Laura&Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I scheduled a lesson this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks
Laura&Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: I guess an old girl can learn new tricks Reply with quote

I took a lesson on Monday and it was awesome. Windsurfing is so much more fun when you don't spend so much time in the water. I only got into the front footstrap but now I have the knowledge of what to do. It will take practice now.

Then maybe I can learn to Jibe and stay out of the water altogether....

Dream on...
tweeky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess an old girl can learn new tricks Reply with quote

Laura&Joe wrote:
I took a lesson on Monday and it was awesome.

Good to hear! Now that you know what to do, make sure you do it! What I mean is, its easy as you start getting up to speed to sort of think "hey, I'm doing ok here, I've got one foot in, lets just enjoy the ride for this reach..." Instead, force yourself to get into the backstrap every time. If you do, you'll rapidly get to the point where putting your feet in the straps is second nature, and not nearly the ordeal it has been so far. Keep going!
Sunny15

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Laura, just wanted to say that I had a similar situation when I was learning to get in the straps. It can be so frustrating some times. I never got a lesson but somehow after many many attempts, things just came together for me. So don't worry too much and just keep trying. You'll get it eventually, really! And of course that's great you're getting a lesson, that will just speed up the process. Have fun!
isobras

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

30knotwind wrote:
You are stalling because you are weighting the back of the board too much when you try to get in the straps.

Always keep your weight on the front foot--start with it just behind the mast. Control the direction of the board with the back foot--as if the fin is the rudder of a sailboat--by 'sraping dog poop off your back foot', i.e. while keeping your weight on your front foot, scrape the back foot under your butt to go downwind, push it away to go upwind--do not push down on the back foot, just push it forward or pull it backward to steer.

GASP!
You're describing BFF!
Stranger yet, no one has threatened your children for doing so.

As for pushing down on the booms ... not only is that work, but we can put 2 to 4 times more weight in the booms (thus the mastfoot) with 95% less effort via our harness than with our arms. Consider hooking in to achieve MFP while trying to get in the straps, as tens of thousands of us do.

Mike \OO/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: