myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
LIVING IN MAUI
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SPQR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beaglebuddy, yeah lack of inexpensive good Mexican food is a bummer in Kauai, but I love Neidas in Hanalei, just had the best fish tacos ever tonight.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike I have had NM style, I grew up with a family with roots there, it's a special type of red sauce with a different flavor.
The flavors of Hawaii are mostly sweet, when they ask how hot I want it here I say very hot and it comes out about California medium.
Neida's Brazilian food is ok, last time I was there they brought some chips out and said "sorry we're all out of salsa" I gave an odd look and the waitress said, "but the chips are free" I will never forget that as long as I live, I haven't been back.
I don't even out out at all, maybe a couple of times a year because it's so insanely expensive and my wife is an excellent cook.
isobras

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jse wrote:
Ahh. New Mexico. The only place where pain is a flavor.

I lived and ate there for 20 years, and never heard that one. That's a good one! NM's State Question is advertised as, "Red or green?" Diners get it with almost every food order at every meal, as one or the other goes with just about any dish. But other than live lobster, it's tough getting really fresh salt-water seafood in Alamogordo, NM.
jse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobras wrote:
jse wrote:
Ahh. New Mexico. The only place where pain is a flavor.

I lived and ate there for 20 years, and never heard that one. That's a good one! NM's State Question is advertised as, "Red or green?" Diners get it with almost every food order at every meal, as one or the other goes with just about any dish. But other than live lobster, it's tough getting really fresh salt-water seafood in Alamogordo, NM.

Red or Green or Christmas Tree. Ever eat at Duran's? It's in the back of a pharmacy down town.

Steve
jse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being that my mother and 3 sisters all live in Albuquerque, I am fortunate to spend time there and benefit by being a recipient of their largesse: Every year, one of my sisters sends me a burlap sack of fresh Hatch chiles. I fire up the (conventional) barbecue with mesquite and roast them. Stick them with the skins on in zip lock bags and freeze them. It's so nice to have them for sandwiches, omelets, etc... I always ask for the hot but it's a crapshoot. Some are not hot at all, some will vacate the kitchen the minute I run the faucet water over them to thaw them out so I can take the skins off. People sneezing and choking.

Steve
victor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a huge event in la puente, ca down in the la area when the trucks show up with hatch valley chilis. it started in one family's front yeard and got so big they had to move it to a nearby school parking lot. three weekends in august. dozens of roasters going. hundreds of buyers. everyone goes home with at least one bulto.
isobras

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you guys know what I'm talking about. That ketchup, mayonnaise, canned Anaheim peppers, and taco powder passed off as chili sauce outside of NM is like calling peanut butter and chocolate syrup "mole sauce" and putting it on filet mignon. An upscale Mexican restaurant (yeah, I know ... a three-word oxymoron!) owner in Hood River told me many years ago he'd love to get fresh Hatch Big Jims, but that they would not survive getting shipped that far. Fresh seafood is much easier to find in NM than New Mexican cuisine is to find anywhere outside NM.

I'll never forget our kitchen sinks full of fresh chilis, still hot from the roasters on most Albuquerque street corners, being wrapped up for the freezer ... nor the first and only time I ever went to the bathroom without scrubbing my hands first after handling those chilis.

Nor will I forget how red-faced and sweat-soaked newbies got the first ... and 27th ... time they ate lunch at that now-closed burrito place on East Central.
jse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobras wrote:
An upscale Mexican restaurant (yeah, I know ... a three-word oxymoron!) owner in Hood River told me many years ago he'd love to get fresh Hatch Big Jims, but that they would not survive getting shipped that far.

Mine come mostly intact. I'm sure they would make it to HR with at least 80% useable. But that was years ago, shipping is different now.

Steve
isobras

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I'm even starting to occasionally see Hatch chiles (shame on me; I've been misspelling it) in supermarket cans lately, and order them (and cases of Hatch green chile stew) from Hatch.

There's an excellent (by inland, sometimes Gorge, standards) WSing lake near Hatch and its chile fields, so local restaurants feature really fresh chiles in almost any dish, including chile wine, beer, ice cream, jelly, grits, etc.

Off topic? Not once you try fresh chiles on an ahi steak.

Mike \OO/
jse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobras wrote:

Off topic? Not once you try fresh chiles on an ahi steak.

Mike \OO/

Sounds good, I'll try it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: