myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
would you buy this?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, how do you envision that would work. If a whole top panel
sort of zipped out, then the twist off would be really messed up. Plus
there'd be some added weight in the zippers. It's still an interesting
idea, I'm just having trouble visualizing the implementation.

-Craig

freecal18 wrote:
what if the components did not need to be changed in any way? i was thinking the top section would zip off rather than the bottom, allowing it to be more hassle free.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just practice sailing well overpowered Very Happy Then you dont need to change sails within a 2m range at all, and get to play longer Laughing
isobras

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The power comes primarily from the lower, forward, section of a WSing sail. In particular, the aft third is just exhaust, not engine, and power up top makes a Hucker rigged for max altitude -- fine for Dale Cook but extra work for the rest of us. Lopping off the top and/or the leech of a sail would denigrate handling and performance than it would decrease power.
spennie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick note about Huckers: My 135 pound wife won't sail anything else.

If you downhaul a Hucker past the "cog" marker printed on the sail, it's one of the best-handling, rangiest sails you'll ever try. Huckers have a bad reputation for being unruly, but all they really need is some extra downhaul to make them wonderful.

I talked to Bruce about this, he promised to move the cogs.

swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way modern sails are designed, all the power and stability is coming from the bottom third of the sail, with the top section being flexible and able to twist-off exhausting excess power in the heavier gusts. Modern masts, particularly high carbon content ones, work in concert with the sail design to facilitate keeping the power low and providing the kind of reflex and flexibility to breathe well in the gusts. Also, a key facet to good power delivery is clew length in the boom area. The bigger the sail, the longer the clew length. That's the reason why just changing the top of the sail doesn't offer much overall.

Going back to the Multisail concept, that was the reason why they focused on the bottom third of the sail, thereby providing two clew points in the design. The longest clew point was in the lower zippered section, and the shorter clew point was above above zipper section in the upper body of the sail.
isobras

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
If you downhaul a Hucker past the "cog" marker printed on the sail, it's one of the best-handling, rangiest sails you'll ever try. Huckers have a bad reputation for being unruly, but all they really need is some extra downhaul to make them wonderful.

I agree, but that reduces their original primary purpose for existence: altitude capability, according to Sailworks' personal and published claims a few years ago. Its high COE wasn't a "bad rep"; it was a design feature developed to get Dale closer to the clouds, at the expense of the easier handling available by adding more downhaul to lower the COE ... as with most sails. Higher COE => higher altitude potential (presuming it's designed and used properly) at the cost of greater pitching moment.

Mike \OO/
jlooby

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting discussion -

I've always thought someone (not me) should try to add "exhaust vents" on the bottom third of the sail to try to reduce the sail's pull (removable (by zipper) elliptical shapes in sail)

I've seen some stunt kites with "exhaust vents" on the web.

Google "Expedition Windsurfer" - he has some removable panels in his aerotech sail to reduce power (albeit in the top 1/3).

Joe

sail.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.66 KB
 Viewed:  9991 Time(s)

sail.jpg

norcom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this auction on ebay (not mine):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Windsurf-Complete-Package-Ready-to-Go-/130758081990?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e71c9fdc6#ht_500wt_1156

The package includes the Multisail 3 in 1 sail. Just posting for anyone else who may be wondering what it looked like.

multisail.jpg
 Description:
Multi-sail International Delta 3
 Filesize:  135.88 KB
 Viewed:  9661 Time(s)

multisail.jpg

dllee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep thinking.
Modern sails twist at the top. Lose the twist, and you have no better high wind ability.
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a couple of the multis in the mid 90's they really were very well made. I took them on trips when it wasn't such a hassle to ship gear on an airplane. Two multis a mid range board-covered alot of options.

Back home it was rare to do the zipper thing with them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: