myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where can a beginner get to intermediate in the Gorge?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pahtoe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One place I think worth mentioning is Three Mile. I haven't been there in a long time, but when I was learning hook and foot, and it was blowing out East, it was my favorite spot. Protected launch cove behind a jetty, with fairly unobstructed wind, safety downwind, and flattest water you'll find in that much wind. It was almost always deserted, and the folks who I did find there would head out beyond the jetty into the river.
RocRobster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that Quesna County Park at exit 151?
Is there camping nearby? That would be nearly a 3 hour drive so we'd hate to drive home at night, would rather stay a day or two...

Is that Loroc Island on iwindsurf?

Looks inviting from Google Earth...
pahtoe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Looks like that's it. I know it's at milemarker 151. I think there is camping there. I recall seeing big RVs and tents. recreationparks.net indicates that there is camping for Quesna. Loroc looks to be just a little East and Arlington is to the W. So either of those sensors ought to give you a pretty good indication.
tweeky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just at Three Mile a few days ago... looks like you can just camp anywhere in the big gravel area near the boat ramp (lots of room, but not a lot of shade) and there is an outhouse there. Definitely a big safe lagoon to learn in. It usually is very quiet there, but be aware it is a launch that is on kiters radar. When we were there, it was only a few people, but everyone was kiting, not windsurfing.
RocRobster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that kiters in the channel or kiters in the lagoon or both?
I have nothing against them, just want to avoid them and I am sure they want to avoid my son....
tweeky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RocRobster wrote:
Is that kiters in the channel or kiters in the lagoon or both?
I have nothing against them, just want to avoid them and I am sure they want to avoid my son....

Kiters will utilize both... but most likely they are coming for swell and will be focused on immediately heading out into the main channel. Rarely, you'll get guys that will want to boost big tricks in that lagoon... flat water is always fun. But if you're at a spot like that, kiters should give you plenty of room. I really find that the "us vs them" thing haunts between Swell City to the sandbar... out East, its a usually a mellower crowd so you should be fine. Chances are, you'll be the only ones there... its not an overly used spot.
RocRobster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I have no us vs. them problem, not enough time after my me vs. me problems. Shocked
isobras

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tweeky wrote:
Chances are, you'll be the only ones there... its not an overly used spot.

Last time I sailed there (9 days ago), there were roughly 70 vehicles there, kiters and WSers, and almost all of them launch on the same boat ramp then shoot the jetty gap into the open river. A few drive west of the jetty to a rockier launch. The primary advantages the lagoon offers novices is that their walkback is limited by its confines and the water is flat. 3-Mile is also a respite when Arlington is too windy for novices, as 3-Mile usually has MUCH less wind.

Mike \OO/
tweeky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobras wrote:

Last time I sailed there (9 days ago), there were roughly 70 vehicles there, kiters and WSers,

Well the last bunch of times I've been there, its been virtually empty. Maybe you should try going when the Roosevelt Pow Wow is not happening. Anything else you want to argue about Mike? Good to know your new name comes with the old attitude... go get em Mike... go get em! Rolling Eyes
isobras

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm presenting useful, valid information to the OP. If you don't want it, don't read it. This thread has several irrefutably wrong statements I'm choosing to ignore. How about you correct some of those rather than throwing your unfounded accusations into OUR punchbowl? You were showing signs of shedding some of the $#!++y attitude you joined us with a few years ago; you may not want to throw that progress away now.

Behaving like Chandler, keycocker, the old Tweeky, et.al. is definitely NOT cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: