myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
LIVING IN MAUI
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Keycocker, it was govt who obstructed the free market, and through pressure by the free market (costco) opened the market to real competition! This is a good thing for Maui and all of its tourists and residents!

I'll be over there tomorrow afternoon for a week with my son. See you at Sprecks or Hookipa...or?
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the whole gasoline price issue to be largely irrelevant, it's been proven that when you drive fuel efficient vehicle you will drive it more and when you drive a gas hog you will drive it less so in the end you end up spending about the same.
I have a gas guzzling work truck, I only use it for work and make sure to consolidate my trips.
My little car I drive all over.
Liberals with their hybrid cars drive them endlessly and in the end spend as much in gas as the person with the gas hog.
3.7_Maui

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Maui - get real Reply with quote

I live on Maui because I figured this is not a dressed rehearsal - So I can not afford to not live on Maui.

As far as Maui people could not make it anywhere else keep telling yourself that, what a small cowardly mind to play that card.

The locals and cock fighting - yea if you live way out in the jungle I suppose that could be an issue. Oregon has the scarey nazi skin head psychos and survival hermits out in the country.

Maui flat in the summer - yea Kanaha for sure most of the time - learn the seasons spots to go. I had to drive and drive east out into the desert to find the elusive wind/swell.

Maui people go to the Gorge in the summer- yea sponsored team riders and people that have family/friends there.

The best place to windsurf is where ever you are - People putting Maui down are real haters.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And get to go a lot more places with the same gas cost. ;*)

I like Maui ........ and the Gorge. It's a lot of fun to sail either, and both.,
and I have a lot of friends who do.

-Craig

beaglebuddy wrote:
Liberals with their hybrid cars drive them endlessly and in the end spend as much in gas as the person with the gas hog.
isobras

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Maui - get real Reply with quote

3.7_Maui wrote:
People putting Maui down are real haters.

I've seen no one put Maui down. They're merely relating their own observations.

Mike \OO/
justingordon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Maui is a great place to live or visit Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Personally, I can't stand the heat there ... and I grew up in the deep, humid south before air conditioning. I also prefer Gorge sailing to anything I've found on Maui short of actual waves; the run-of-the-mill chopswell on the Windward shore is not that appealing to me compared to a good day (like today) at Threemile Canyon in very clean swell at least twice as high as the non-wave mishmash off Kanaha/Sprecks. I guess one has to live on Maui and/or sail its serious wave venues to appreciate it beyond short vacations. There must be SOME reasons so many Maui residents spend their summers in the Gorge. The ones I've asked said they just prefer sailing here.

I'd be curious to know how many Maui residents spend summers in the Gorge? I know lots of Maui friends that go to Indo or Fiji during the summer for better waves. Another factor is driving time. People on the north shore of Maui do very little driving compared to Gorge sailing. I think the number of days that it's not awesome to either SUP, Sail, Kite, Swim, Surf, Boogie Board or do some water activity in my backyard (pictured below) are probably less than 10 days a year. Windy? Sail, kite, SUP downwind. No wind? SUP or Swim. Waves at the beach? Boogie board or Surf. Or maybe just build sand castles with the kids. Maui is like the SF Bay Area in terms of variety.

And if heat is an issue (which for me it is with a west facing office with large windows not exposed to the trades), get A/C. And if you're worried about the electricity, get solar. 100% of my power will be from the sun on my roof within a few weeks.

Maui is one of the nicest places on earth to live so long as you love outdoor activities and do not need the energy of a big city. If you want a big city with outdoor activities, and don't mind a little chilly weather, then SF is the best. I grew up in LA. I preferred Boston over LA. Then SF much more than Boston. With a family, Maui is awesome.

Best wishes and aloha,

Justin

MauiBeachDayDSC_0082.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.33 MB
 Viewed:  13918 Time(s)

MauiBeachDayDSC_0082.jpg

http://www.sugarranchmaui.com
http://facebook.com/justinhgordon
http://www.facebook.com/sugarranch
victor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maui is one of the nicest places on earth to live so long as you love outdoor activities and .....

have an extra $20 million for a place on the beach on no. shore.
justingordon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Cost of living in Maui Reply with quote

I moved to Maui from San Francisco. You can get a really nice home here for maybe $500,000, and the first $300,000 in value is deducted from the value for calculating your property taxes, which are less than 0.3% per year for a homeowner. Compare that to a decent home in San Francisco, Marin, or the Peninsula. There's no comparison. Sure, that's all not comparable to places outside of Californian, New York, and Boston.

The big difference for moving here is not the cost of housing, food, gas, etc., but the availability of good jobs compared to the big city places. And if you come to Maui, and stay in the resort areas, it is crazy expensive. If you a place near Paia (near the windsurf spots), the costs can be very reasonable.

http://www.sugarranchmaui.com
http://facebook.com/justinhgordon
http://www.facebook.com/sugarranch
isobras

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of living in Maui Reply with quote

justingordon wrote:
I moved to Maui from San Francisco. You can get a really nice home here for maybe $500,000

Man, you big city guys get jaded. Realize that outside big cities, many people can buy great homes with acreage for <$200,000 ... and do groceries on Maui still cost twice what they do on the mainland?
SAS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Cost of living in Maui Reply with quote

Man, isobras, for someone who wrote earlier that no one is putting Maui down, you sure seem intent upon repeatedly pointing out what you don't like about it. The cost of living on Maui was already pointed out multiple times by others, including areas it costs more, and areas it costs less.

Maui's not for everyone, nor is the Gorge, where you live and enjoy sailing. There are pros and cons to each place, and to any other place too.

Shall I start to post all the things I don't like about the gorge? For example: when you sail there do you still get to fall in and suck into your nose water full of industrial and agricultural contaminants? are the sailors there still getting all those sinus problems?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: