myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Beginner board recommendations - 215lbs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james d0uglass always has good advise since he has windsurfed, SUPed AND kitesurfed...

choices also depend on where you intend to go and what the average winds are

i weigh 100 kilos/220 pounds and started on a longboard
i still use longboards on the lake at the chalet - many wind holes or shadows
the first shortboard i used was 160 liters and i still use it with 8.x sails
i also have a 124 liter shortboard for those bigger wind days
that board requires more skills and I am still working on that

if you do not see the bigger boards on the used market, does it mean people are not buying them ??? here 140 to 160 liter boards seem to get snapped up -- not the boards bigger in volume than that

as people are saying bigger is better for the board and smaller is better for the sail - ideally a sail that you will continue to use

check out my article/post on heavyweights starting to windsurf
http://joewindsurfer.blogspot.ca/2011/05/heavyweights-and-windsurfing.html

lotsa luck and i like your attitude about enjoying the wind
it gives me chills to exchange smiles and waves with kite boarders becuz i know there seems to be some nonsense between the two types of wind addicts

as you say - we both love the same thing - FUN on the water

joe windsurfer
montreal canada
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have many good options as stated above. If you feel like buying something newer, I second the Kona One proposal. I'm 215 too and I like mine very much. It's a great all around board, very nice to have in marginal lake conditions. I thought a friend of similar weight on it and he was going within minutes. There are more stable boards around, but they are often much slower off the plane.
lunchbox

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for all the feedback! So many choices Shocked

@ joethewindsufa - Nice read and videos...Thanks.

@ capetonian - Very nice of you to offer Phil...I'll shoot you an PM.

I was thinking about taking a drive up to Santa Barbara this weekend so might have to poke my head in at some shops and look at some gear. Should probably leave my wallet at home so as to avoid any temptation...haha! I'll inquire about the SUP and mast track as well.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the back of the mast track at the middle of the board, so the track is forward of center. seems to work.
Mast track is available online from Chinook.
An Exocet Windsup which is a type of Kona, is probably a better option than a Kona unless you can find a used Kona for cheap.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can find a SUP that will perform well for you as a beginner board, not at your size. Get the largest beginner board you can find. You won't regret it (and you'll be able to sell it when you grow out of it.)
dhmark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned to sail 20+ years ago on a Fanatic Bat, planing in foot straps hooked in having a blast, then got a 100 liter board. It worked only because I had got the basics down on larger board (more volume, but they did not have short wide Go type boards then), and I used it at a medium high wind spot (Berkeley Marina, typical day is 6.0). Any less wind than that, I think learning on such a board now would be too slow and no fun (too much unproductive, tippy, and unfun slogging around). So if you plan to sail at a windy spot, the Bat would work to learn, otherwise not. dhmark
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
I don't think you can find a SUP that will perform well for you as a beginner board, not at your size. Get the largest beginner board you can find. You won't regret it (and you'll be able to sell it when you grow out of it.)

Michael, Do you mean he needs a SUP that is bigger? I learned on an 11' X 31" SUP and I'm about his size, I felt it was plenty big enough.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience SUP boards are not as stable or windsurfing friendly for beginners as a comparably sized (or even slightly smaller) windsurfing board.
That you learned on a SUP is great. I learned on a Bic Salsa (which I would tell the entire world to avoid.) I think the best way to learn to windsurf is to start on the easiest sailing, most beginner friendly board possible. Progress is much faster.

beaglebuddy wrote:
PeconicPuffin wrote:

Michael, Do you mean he needs a SUP that is bigger? I learned on an 11' X 31" SUP and I'm about his size, I felt it was plenty big enough.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: