myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board Repair Clinic Candlestick Sat 21st. w/ Wyatt M

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Board Repair Clinic Candlestick Sat 21st. w/ Wyatt M Reply with quote

It appears there is not many board repair options left in the Bay.

After seeing some gnarly repairs in the last few days, (as well as people staring longingly at the new board they have with the giant crack in it that they cannot sail) I think the Bay needs some board repair lessons.

Did a couple really successful repair clinics last year and found Candlestick to be the wonder spot. The fence is made up of board racks, both sideways for rail dings and flat for top deck problems.

I will bring out the generator and the grinder, carbon epoxy and all the tools. And we will fix your boards and learn how to repair, nose dings, rail cracks, soft spots, heal dents etc. The only thing we can't really do is bottom delaminations as that requires a vacuum bag or a heavy duty vacuum.

In previous sessions we have had 6 heads with 6-7 boards and gotten them all done in an afternoon with the exception of contact cementing the pads back down.

So if you are into it shoot me an email at Wyattmiller525@gmail.com

Cost will be $120 (because carbon,epoxy and gorilla glue are waaay more expensive thatn you think). But that is probably cheaper than having someone else fix your board.

Come learn effective quick board repair at Candlestick next Saturday.

board repair crew.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  68.82 KB
 Viewed:  18905 Time(s)

board repair crew.jpg

Last edited by wyattmiller on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
ericwelty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wyatt
I don't really know you ( as I sail on the coast ) , but I think you have a great idea here. I hope people show up for this, it is so valuable to know how to fix your own board, even if there is a shop that does repair , it can take a long time to get your board back.

After reading other posts by you, I can tell that you have great energy, we need more folks like you in this sport.

Keep it up

Eric
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Thanks Eric,

Ya being able to do glass epoxy repairs is key in windsurfing. Lots of folks don't realize that if you hit a solarrez or ding stick repair it can often separate from the board and then you have water leaking in. For years I did horrible repairs on my boards but it only took one day with a buddy who knew what he was doing to teach me to do good glass repairs.

With some glass, solar-rez and a sanding disk and electric drill you can get a solid repair done in the parking lot in half an hour. Saved my butt many a time in the Hatchery parking lot.
radross

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump for Wyatt and his clinic(s).

Ross
bobby25

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Wyatt,

What if we don't have a board that needs repairing?? Is it still worth it to come to the clinic?

I would really like to know how to fix the immanent nose repair later in the season.
hahn2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to one of the prior clinics and got a lot out of it, both in knowledge and actual repairs. It's something different and a great idea. Two thumbs up.
-Jon
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jon.

And Bobby, no need to bring a board to repair if you don't have one.

I have a couple dead boards that we can all practice on. Which is great cause we can do a variety of repairs on it and get some experience using the angle grinder to get the paint off, without fears of going to deep or messing up a good board.

So ya, I am sure you will get a lot out of it even without a board that needs repairing.

And there is still room for anyone who wants to sign up.

Wyatt
Waterat Pat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda tough to repair a board that's not dry all the way through especially the way styrofoam sucks up water. Simple dings ok but deck soft spots require grinding down to the core and vacuum bagging new foam on as the divinycell is usually broken down. I repair my own boards but it is so much work I sure wouldn't make any money at it.
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time there is not much water in boards unless people really didn't know about the ding.

And I find that most soft spots and heal dents are still water tight and easily fixable by injecting WATER and Gorilla Glue. Which when combined foam up like crazy and cure super hard. Then with a couple layers of carbon you have a stiff board again.

But ya, I don't think there is much money to be made in board repair and thus not many folks still doing it professionally around the Bay.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey wyatt:

Might be too late but Have you posted this on some of the SUP forums or craigslist as many of the SUPs are sandwhich construction. Pretty sure some of them would be interested if you can find a way too let them know.

PS Thanks for the great clinic last weekend

Roland
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: