myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Windsurfing Videos Buy and Sell Services
 
Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
mounting trifins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mchaco1



Joined: 08 Sep 2010
Posts: 638

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success! It rides like a cadillac. Planes easy and takes a 6.8 no problem, it is ok upwind when powered up, better than the middle fin by itself and it handles gusts great. It's not fast but I had a lot of fun on it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
U2U2U2



Joined: 06 Jul 2001
Posts: 2978
Location: Shipsterns Bluff, Tasmania. Colorado

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The center fin with the slot/hole is made for control in wicked fin IMO,
that only would account for some speed loss.

the tri fins or any multi will have more drag, and therefore less speed.

just general observations.

Having the fin cluster close together will make it looser

the further apart the cluster the turns will be more drawn out, stiffer,
combo of these concepts the fin setup can be balanced

neat looking ride !!

_________________
K4 fins
4Boards....May the fours be with you

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cgoudie1



Joined: 10 Apr 2006
Posts: 1127
Location: Killer Sturgeon Cove

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a sweet looking board.

-Craig

mchaco1 wrote:
Success! It rides like a cadillac. Planes easy and takes a 6.8 no problem, it is ok upwind when powered up, better than the middle fin by itself and it handles gusts great. It's not fast but I had a lot of fun on it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mchaco1



Joined: 08 Sep 2010
Posts: 638

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
The center fin with the slot/hole is made for control in wicked fin IMO,
that only would account for some speed loss.

the tri fins or any multi will have more drag, and therefore less speed.

just general observations.

Having the fin cluster close together will make it looser

the further apart the cluster the turns will be more drawn out, stiffer,
combo of these concepts the fin setup can be balanced

neat looking ride !!

Yeah, the slotted and tri is overkill, no spinouts though no matter how poorly I landed jumps Laughing Its just the only US box wave fin I have right now, though at the moment the braking effect is OK Very Happy Im getting a better wave fin at the next swap meet. Im liking the long mast track and forward positions, I guess if I ever get a new board it will probably be an Open Ocean Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mchaco1



Joined: 08 Sep 2010
Posts: 638

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
That is a sweet looking board.

-Craig


Thanks, its definitely unique. Its more surfboard than windsurfer, it was shaped by a famous surfboard shaper (McConnell) in Florida, and brought from FLorida to AZ by a wave rider where I got it as a sinker before I could even waterstart. It has wax instead of grip and I wouldnt be suprised if it was just a surfboard with straps and tracks added
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
noshuzbluz



Joined: 18 May 2000
Posts: 749

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]
Yeah, the slotted and tri is overkill, no spinouts though no matter how poorly I landed jumps Laughing Its just the only US box wave fin I have right now, though at the moment the braking effect is OK Very Happy Im getting a better wave fin at the next swap meet. Im liking the long mast track and forward positions, I guess if I ever get a new board it will probably be an Open Ocean Laughing[/quote]

mchaco1,
I assume you did your homework on board choice. I have 2 OO's. an 8'2" 80ltr and a 8'4" 95ltr. My only regret about getting them is that I didn't do it 20 years ago. Just tell Brian what sail sizes you want to use with the board, your weight, what conditions you sail in and how you sail, ie; freeride BnF, BnJ, seat harness/waist harness etc. and he'll build you the perfect board for it. The only thing you really have to decide for yourself is colors. That's the fun part!
Have you ridden one yet? There are several OO riders on this forum and they will say with or without his side fins, they are great boards. Some riders swear by them, some like the ride better without. Brians rule of thumb is if you're overpowered and the board is getting a little unruly then put them on and it will save you rigging a smaller sail.

_________________
The Time a Person Spends Windsurfing is not Deducted from their Lifespan...
http://www.openocean.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mchaco1



Joined: 08 Sep 2010
Posts: 638

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz wrote:


mchaco1,
I assume you did your homework on board choice. I have 2 OO's. an 8'2" 80ltr and a 8'4" 95ltr. My only regret about getting them is that I didn't do it 20 years ago. Just tell Brian what sail sizes you want to use with the board, your weight, what conditions you sail in and how you sail, ie; freeride BnF, BnJ, seat harness/waist harness etc. and he'll build you the perfect board for it. The only thing you really have to decide for yourself is colors. That's the fun part!
Have you ridden one yet? There are several OO riders on this forum and they will say with or without his side fins, they are great boards. Some riders swear by them, some like the ride better without. Brians rule of thumb is if you're overpowered and the board is getting a little unruly then put them on and it will save you rigging a smaller sail.

IM really liking the weight of the polyester board, I guess some people hate it, but I like the board taking the pounding instead of me, I did notice that with the side fins on I never felt overpowered and the board always felt stable and didnt try to snake around like my lighter boards do. I like the forward track too, and I hear OO will accomodate what ever crazy ideas the customers have about stuff like that Laughing Maybe ill stop by for a demo sometime
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
noshuzbluz



Joined: 18 May 2000
Posts: 749

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
noshuzbluz wrote:


mchaco1,
I assume you did your homework on board choice. I have 2 OO's. an 8'2" 80ltr and a 8'4" 95ltr. My only regret about getting them is that I didn't do it 20 years ago. Just tell Brian what sail sizes you want to use with the board, your weight, what conditions you sail in and how you sail, ie; freeride BnF, BnJ, seat harness/waist harness etc. and he'll build you the perfect board for it. The only thing you really have to decide for yourself is colors. That's the fun part!
Have you ridden one yet? There are several OO riders on this forum and they will say with or without his side fins, they are great boards. Some riders swear by them, some like the ride better without. Brians rule of thumb is if you're overpowered and the board is getting a little unruly then put them on and it will save you rigging a smaller sail.

IM really liking the weight of the polyester board, I guess some people hate it, but I like the board taking the pounding instead of me, I did notice that with the side fins on I never felt overpowered and the board always felt stable and didnt try to snake around like my lighter boards do. I like the forward track too, and I hear OO will accomodate what ever crazy ideas the customers have about stuff like that Laughing Maybe ill stop by for a demo sometime


Brians got 3 different construction techniques. The Enduro is probably what you're thinking of. It's heavier but definitely smooths out the ride on big days but also does a much lighter epoxy build as well that suits my 95 ltr much better for me. Give him a call. You'll for sure learn something from the conversation. He's a fun guy to to talk to.

_________________
The Time a Person Spends Windsurfing is not Deducted from their Lifespan...
http://www.openocean.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zirtaeb



Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 2147

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool retro board.
A surfboard would have more rocker, no double stringers, no mast track, no strap inserts, and at that size, much wider or much narrower, but nothing like that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mchaco1



Joined: 08 Sep 2010
Posts: 638

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Cool retro board.
A surfboard would have more rocker, no double stringers, no mast track, no strap inserts, and at that size, much wider or much narrower, but nothing like that.

hmm... the track and strap inserts could be later additions by the look of them, the track has been re glassed over at somepoint so its hard to say if it was built in. The strap inserts are in all sorts of funky places too. I might have to send Natural Art/Mark McConnell an email and ask if they ever made any real windsurfers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum

myiW | Weather | Community | Membership | Support | Log in
like us on facebook
© Copyright 1999-2007 WeatherFlow, Inc Contact Us Ad Marketplace

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group