myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Oregon coast part 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To avoid walking back upwind.....ride a wave left, or backside, pinching as high and tight as you can. Just before it breaks, straighten out a little, allow it to break, then pinch upwind again going left, or NORTH. I haven't walked up a beach in surfsailing since '85, when my mast broke.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has seldom worked for me when slogging, as is the norm in the impact zone at northern OR coast spots I've tried; the rip current ultimately wins.
H2OJoe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it Zirtaeb. It takes a little practice but is very effective once mastered. I still have to walk up the beach occasionally but it's usually because I'm out in really light winds. For me it's totally worth a little walk to ride a nice wave. And on those days when I'm fully powered up it's pure magic!
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the mid '90's, we sailed Florence around shoulder high, just planing 5.3 winds, and rode at least a mile downwind. There were 4 of us, and going DTL was pure fun for an hour. Then, we suddenly decided to ride all the waves left, or upwind, slogging out slowly (shoulder high is easy slog over size), and we got back within that same hour period.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally out at the coast, it doesnt look nearly as intimidating as I imagined, I would go out now if there was wind Very Happy
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope HoodRiver is super clear and warmer than high 80's, for the NW to blow out in the coast, otherwise you have fog for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and light winds.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First day in the waves, great wind today at Roads End, I made it out past the surf and back twice Very Happy Then touched a fish with my foot and got tackled by the waves and had a sail clew malfunction Confused

Mark met me out there and had a malfunction of his own..

but everybody made it back and we didnt have to walk too far Laughing
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the coldest winter i've ever sailed in was august in lincoln city.

the shore pound was 8-10 foot, and the outsides were about 12+. i sailed a 95 liter onshore wave board and a 5.7 sail. wind was SS, yet slightly onshore. i may have tricked a bunch of other sailors, because i'm above average in height and my gear was the same. 3 others tried a flailed, but i do have extensive experience in barely powered slightly offshore winds. the rest hung out and watched.

the water was so ice cold, that even with double wetsuits, i froze after 90 minutes. i realized as soon as my feet touched the water that i shold not dunk my head. otherwise, the sesh would have been far shorter.

the trick to staying upwind in lighter conditions in the surf is a mix of techniques. first, try to keep planing when getting out, even if one has to bear off to do so. avoid jumping. and "milk" the upwind shoulder a bunch as stated above. take some front side rides, but balance that with many more upwind shoulder rides. choose some gear that allows for better upwind power.

light wind wave sailing with a long board is way easier if one has at least one foot strap for board handling in tricky water start situations, if not a full set for better wave rides. just using the leash well for some marlow is better than nothing, but a foot strap makes launching and landing way easier.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
isobras

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
the coldest winter i've ever sailed in was august in lincoln city.

the water was so ice cold, that even with double wetsuits, i froze after 90 minutes. i realized as soon as my feet touched the water that i shold not dunk my head.

An OR coastie local kept falling down as he tried to walk to shore after a summer session. Neither he nor his buds could figure out why until he emerged from the water to reveal his cold -- and grotesquely broken -- ankle.

An Air Force officer friend who had done nighttime flight line guard duty at Minot AFB, North Dakota said the coldest he had ever gotten was on a wintry, onshore windy day at Cape Canaveral.
anthwind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strapless yellow board. After I left did it ready drop down that much to need a strapless board?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: