myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Class Act

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3feathers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Class Act Reply with quote

I was at Rowena 7/15 and witnessed a classy move by a local sailor. Dale Cook showed up about 5 pm, walked his gear down to the water and took off sailing. He was on the water for about 10 seconds when he came across another sailor in distress. He turned his board around and towed the sailor to the beach. He then swam out to the drifting gear left behind, and sailed it back and to shore.

I have to say that was best moves I have ever seen Dale perform on the Columbia.

This year I had my rig separate from my board while at Rowena and had help from a local sailor as well. Can’t remember Her name, but a big thanks for saving me from having to buy a new rig. I’m glad I play in a place where we look out for each other. Oh yeah thanks to the kiters who came by to see if they could help. They hung around to make sure I could get my gear re-rigged and myself back to shore. I made it back with all my gear. Thanks to you all.

B
donmcd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Watching out for each other Reply with quote

Yesterday at Arlington, I bailed from a jump mid river and was swimming for my gear.
I could not close the twenty yards. Like a wallet on a string the sail and board just stayed ahead of me and I was in for a long swim.
Jeff from Hood River was out there and saw the situation unfolding. It was looking like I would have to chase my gear all the way to the Arlington Jetty.
Jeff jibed and grabbed my gear waiting for me to get there.
Nice save Jeff. I sailed for a couple hours after that and had a sublime day rather than getting all tuckered out or worse.
Looking out for each other is an honor and privilege. Pay it forward. "When the power of love is greater than the love of power, men will know peace on earth." Jimmy Hendrix
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a little fellow at CrissyFields, around 1995, who was credited with over 25 rescues there by that year. He is 5'4" and 114 lbs.
I've lost track of him since, but he still sails at Crissy at least a couple days a week.
His name is SteveYong.
sailon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Class act for sure! Reply with quote

I finally got to meet Dale Cook!! Sort-of...because I still didn't know his name. When I saw what a powerful swimmer he was as he swam out to retrieve my gear, I knew he must be well-known in windsurfing circles. I haven't seen anyone cover the water like that!!
I had been sitting on the beach a long time Sun. afternoon waiting/hoping the wind would let up just a little so that I might have a chance at sailing. And I knew that I would hate myself if I didn't at least try to sail those high winds. After all, there were other women out there kicking butt. The only difference between them and myself was that I'm an 'advanced beginner' - in my estimation - and they are just plain 'advanced'...or expert. I was in awe of them and the guys as well who made it look so easy. So I only went halfway across the river, not wanting to push my luck. And it wasn't so difficult. Coming back was different - easy to waterstart but never making much progress. The final catapult left me too winded to go after my gear. Dale didn't hesitate to help. A BIG THANKS TO HIM! A BIG THANKS to the windsurfer who dropped in to stay with my gear - keeping it from going further down the river than it would have. I don't know who, but appreciate their effort as well. Thanks!
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Class act for sure! Reply with quote

I hope you get to see Dale Sail someday. There is nobody who can get
more air than Dale, he's like a missle.

-Craig

sailon wrote:
I finally got to meet Dale Cook!! Sort-of...because I still didn't know his name. When I saw what a powerful swimmer he was as he swam out to retrieve my gear, I knew he must be well-known in windsurfing circles. I haven't seen anyone cover the water like that!!
I had been sitting on the beach a long time Sun. afternoon waiting/hoping the wind would let up just a little so that I might have a chance at sailing. And I knew that I would hate myself if I didn't at least try to sail those high winds. After all, there were other women out there kicking butt. The only difference between them and myself was that I'm an 'advanced beginner' - in my estimation - and they are just plain 'advanced'...or expert. I was in awe of them and the guys as well who made it look so easy. So I only went halfway across the river, not wanting to push my luck. And it wasn't so difficult. Coming back was different - easy to waterstart but never making much progress. The final catapult left me too winded to go after my gear. Dale didn't hesitate to help. A BIG THANKS TO HIM! A BIG THANKS to the windsurfer who dropped in to stay with my gear - keeping it from going further down the river than it would have. I don't know who, but appreciate their effort as well. Thanks!
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale basically took over the air after the HyperTech team disbanded. Sailing tiny slalom boards, his sky shots are worth of any league.
Hope his knees are OK.
markandmonique

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale is awesome!

All around nice guy, and ripper! Pretty much "Aquaman of The Gorge" -

These pics and vid are proof of his incredible flights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF-MZR4ccX0

http://www.sailworks.com/images/photos/09Hucker_1.jpg

I know he will blush when he reads this! Embarassed Laughing

-Monique
windfind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below are 2 of my favorite photos of Dale in action. Both of these got accusations of photoshopping from those who have never seen him jumping. And I have seen him a lot higher when I was not packing a camera!

And here is a video of Dale on a classic post heat wave day.

http://windnotes.phanfare.com/4743675_5825871#imageID=135634561

Mike Godsey
weatherflow.com
iwindsurf.com
ikitesurf.com
sailflow.com
fishweather.com

NIK_6101.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  339.01 KB
 Viewed:  15630 Time(s)

NIK_6101.jpg

P1110767.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  263.26 KB
 Viewed:  15630 Time(s)

P1110767.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: