myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
A good kiter
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvCali

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdolphin37 wrote:
It was a euro-pin i up dated trying to avoid trouble, it broke right at the bottom of the mast on top of the extension stop. first extension i ever broke been wsing 15 years. and yes we did drag both board and sail back thanks

I was hoping that streamlined got it right from year one with a carbon extension but maybe it is not the case (although this is a sample of one, not exactly representative ... ). Still running US and was thinking to switch to Euro next year, maybe by than Streamlined has fixed the carbon glitches.

Only extension I ever broke was a Chinook carbon that exploded while down hauling. It was the first year of production, and the one I got as a replacement under warranty, with thicker base walls, is still going ok.
Donnie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: A good kiter Reply with quote

kdolphin37 wrote:
Was sailing at lake mohave couple weeks ago and broke a carbon extension about a mile or more out. Bobby the kiter came by and sat on my board and towed us both in with his kite. THANKS AGAIN BOBBY u saved me a long swim.

Hi Randy, glad to have decided to go for that long downwind reach and see you flagging you're hat out in the middle of the lake!

Dragging you're rig and you in the water was a lot of pull on the arms and was especially stoked to get you upwind to the point above the lower bay and save a long walk w/ gear.

Truly a great feeling to be able to be of service when someone is in need in any and all circumstances. May each of us do our parts to share the stoke and reach out to lend a hand when needed.

I didn't get to look at base personally yet swear by Streamlined's products and was honored to ride for Dave D. for many years (started windsurfing in the late 70's and still on rare occasions) and can assure you he is a totally awesome person and will go out of his way to make it right.

Winds looking good next couple of days and hope the recent 115 / 120 F temps are a thing of the past.

Hope to see you on the water!

Cheers,
Donnie

*You can call me "Bobby" lol Wink
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: A good kiter Reply with quote

kdolphin37 wrote:
Was sailing at lake mohave couple weeks ago and broke a carbon extension about a mile or more out. Bobby the kiter came by and sat on my board and towed us both in with his kite.

I'm sure that wasn't a surprise. I've had only one, very brief, totally inconsequential, easily resolved on the spot "hassle" with a kiter in all these years ... on the water. What I have seen far more of is an effort on their part to keep their lines away from me regardless of who's on starboard, restrained jumping even though I've gone WAY below them just so they CAN jump, frequent inquiries of whether I'm OK when I'm lying in the water cracking oysters on my chest, and tow jobs of me and others when appropriate. I sailed among a crowd of them in huge swell yesterday, and my primary concern was whether I was giving kiter A enough room when I was staying out of kiter B's way and dodging kiter C. Their lines are invisible, so it's just guesswork and trust on my part.

Mike \m/
spennie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aluminum extensions are indestructible & cheaper, why would you want to buy carbon? Gotta save those 25 grams? Can't be bend curve, those things are too short & thick to bend. (not going there)

Several years ago I had the good luck to go to dinner with a group that included Anders Bringdahl, then #2 in the world behind Bjorn, and he agreed with me that small differences in weight are inconsequential for 99.9% of the world's windsurfers, with the exception of World Cup Racers, and he agreed that it wasn't worth giving up durability. We were discussing boards at the time, but the principle applies to all things windsurfing.

My aluminum Streamlined skinny extension looks like it could stop a truck, and I never have to worry about it.

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Spennie here, There's a lot of carbon in my rig, but all my
extensions are aluminum.

-Craig

spennie wrote:
Aluminum extensions are indestructible & cheaper, why would you want to buy carbon? Gotta save those 25 grams? Can't be bend curve, those things are too short & thick to bend. (not going there)

Several years ago I had the good luck to go to dinner with a group that included Anders Bringdahl, then #2 in the world behind Bjorn, and he agreed with me that small differences in weight are inconsequential for 99.9% of the world's windsurfers, with the exception of World Cup Racers, and he agreed that it wasn't worth giving up durability. We were discussing boards at the time, but the principle applies to all things windsurfing.

My aluminum Streamlined skinny extension looks like it could stop a truck, and I never have to worry about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: