myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Small gorge board for woman, need suggestions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchaco1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This berky is no where close to 80, its a sinker for her. It couldnt be over 65 and my guess is closer to 55, I didnt measure it , but its under 7 feet and is thin. it looks more like a kiteboard with a mast track. The pro wave from the naish factory was what we were looking at, she gets it wholesale from the factory at white salmon.The 65 had great reviews in the gorge from a woman of similar size in the gorge. Big winds has one used rental pro wave of the same year for sale, im hoping theyll rent it out. She would go for a 55, the only problem is Naish doesnt have any NOS and the 2012s are pricey.
Big-Winds

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a NEW Starboard Evo 66 Wood for $899 at the consignment rack at Big Winds. My wife rides the exact same board at Swell almost daily. She's about 102lbs and uses it 3.0 to 3.7 and loves riding swell with it.

Joe
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmf wrote:
If you are buying a board without trying it, it must be really cheap as it might not be your cup of tea, and then you have the problem of selling it. This, of course is why swap meet boards are so cheap. You can't try them out first.

At double digits and with performance reviews, that doesn't bother me. I've bought literally dozens of swap meet boards because I don't like Stubbies in Gorge conditions when powered up as I prefer to be in rough water in gusty winds. Out of those dozens, I rejected a total of two ... one a highly rated current model Stubbie wave board designed for a purpose different from mine.

I've also offered, for real, to refund some buyers' money in full if they don't think a board was worth the price; I was that convinced they'd love the boards. Otherwise, they or I can always sell a board we don't like at the next swap meet, sometimes for a slight profit. I got my money back + $100 on that stubbie wave board four years later at another swap, from a rider with different performance priorities from mine. Win/win.

I know a guy who bought a dozen NEW B&J boards in one year 3-4 years ago, rejecting each one until he hit gold. He had to have lost more on those boards than I did in my dozens, and to top that off, every one of mine outperforms his by my criteria. Board age is just a number; what's real is performance vs objectives.

I gave up trying to demo boards from shops. The logistics, time, lost shred time, and fuel cost of trying to match a demo board with appropriate conditions was a hit and miss nightmare. That's why and when I began hitting swap meets, consignment shops, and dealer closeouts like this Naish site, at which I've had FAR more success at finding boards I absolutely love. I've bought several current year boards from Big Winds in the fall based on their advice without a test drive, with zero disappointments. Some of those I've used for years and still gotten half or more of my money back at swaps or Windance or 2nd Wind. Big Winds, I, the consignment shop, the next owner, and the environment ... win/win/win/win/win.

As for trying before buying, I believe strongly in it @ $2,000. At $50 - $500 my time and hassle become too valuable. I research 'em, snap 'em up, and find other homes for the few whose performance factors differ from mine. Not everybody cares about my two most important factors, so I can be honest about them and still sell them.

Besides, I and others have offered unlimited demos at windy launches. Almost no one takes us up on them. Too shy? Stuck on new boards? Afraid of damaging them? Who knows? Back to the swap meet!

I suspect Chaco's girlfriend would LOVE that board you offered me last year. I'd have snapped it up in a heartbeat if I didn't have so many in its size range, including that very board. For double digits, she couldn't have gone wrong. Nor can she with that 65L ProWave, IMO, for the objectives Chaco presents. I've thoroughly enjoyed my 80L version of it from hammering 3.7 to moderate 6.2.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berky Aerospoons came in the two bigger sizes, then a 7'10" model, which never made it to the west coast. The 8'2" version is 88 liters or so, since I can uphaul it at 150 lbs. Measure the length and width of the Aerospoon. I remember the 8'2" was around 22" wide, so a big floaty board.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Berky Aerospoons came in the two bigger sizes, then a 7'10" model, which never made it to the west coast. The 8'2" version is 88 liters or so, since I can uphaul it at 150 lbs. Measure the length and width of the Aerospoon. I remember the 8'2" was around 22" wide, so a big floaty board.

I tried it once and sank down to my ribs. Its possibly the 7'10, her dad gave the under 7' number so it may be off, I will measure it next time I see it. it fits entirely in a prius with the front seat both in normal position so it cant be too long.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please measure length and width.
YOU are 190 lbs., can sink a 90 liter board.
My old Honda Civics can fit a 8'8" board inside, + another shorter board, 5 sails, two masts, and two booms easily.
My buddy used to fit BOTH Berky's, one 8'4", one 8'2" inside his 1979 Civic, the tiny one, plus 3 masts, 2 booms, and 4 sails.
And remember to measure the width of the board at the wide point.
Berky's were waaaay ahead of the game. Tem made boards with flaps, with complete cutouts, made the Aerospoons, and helped pioneer the epoxy/airex construction techniques.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we (the mag I worked for) tested the 7-10 Berky in the Gorge ~20 years ago, a local kid -- from The Dalles, I think -- asked to join our test team. When we asked him to demonstrate his skill level, he grabbed the Berky despite our raised eyebrows and hit the water. Didn't take him more than a few planing nose tacks on it to persuade us he was up to the job.

His first exposure to a WSer had been the previous summer. I wonder if his last name might have been Siver.

Mike \m/
mchaco1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Please measure length and width.
YOU are 190 lbs., can sink a 90 liter board.
My old Honda Civics can fit a 8'8" board inside, + another shorter board, 5 sails, two masts, and two booms easily.
My buddy used to fit BOTH Berky's, one 8'4", one 8'2" inside his 1979 Civic, the tiny one, plus 3 masts, 2 booms, and 4 sails.
And remember to measure the width of the board at the wide point.
Berky's were waaaay ahead of the game. Tem made boards with flaps, with complete cutouts, made the Aerospoons, and helped pioneer the epoxy/airex construction techniques.

Ill measure it this weekend, its not here.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.
I think the smaller one had thinner rails, almost FSW like, but was still 88 liters or so. NO tail rocker, so full on slalom rocker out thru the tail.
And remember, Naish used to make a 217 length slalom board that was around 100 true liters.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Winds wrote:
There is a NEW Starboard Evo 66 Wood for $899 at the consignment rack at Big Winds. My wife rides the exact same board at Swell almost daily. She's about 102lbs and uses it 3.0 to 3.7 and loves riding swell with it.

Joe

She going to try out the pro wave 65 in the rental fleet this weekend
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: