myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Small gorge board for woman, need suggestions
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchaco1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Small gorge board for woman, need suggestions Reply with quote

My girlfriend is looking for a high wind board, her current small wind board is an old Berky Aerospoon that she has been using for over a year,her low wind floater is a 95. Not sure what size it is but its probably around 65 or smaller (best guess) she wants a smaller size but since we dont know what the old one is its hard to pick a size. She gets a naish discount so that would be greatly preferable. The problem is that the freerides stop at 70, how would a naish pro wave be in the gorge? Would there be any notable tradeoffs from a freeride (global)? Also looking for size suggestions, 64 seems good, but 55 might be better if thats a reasonable volume (she is about 115).
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if going with a traditional construction board , as Naish, I would look at a wave board

for a high wind board , if I read this correct, I might suggest a local hull Open Ocean comes to mind.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
SlightlySalty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get the pro wave 64 for her. It'll turn better and be easier to control. It'll be worlds different then the aero spoon. There is really no need to go smaller than that in the gorge, even if your 115lbs.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my '08 80L Naish ProWave in the Gorge, despite its slight resistance to early planing compared to some other 80L wave boards. I trust it explicitly to read my mind and execute my will in conditions I'd normally be on 65 liters for, such as wildly powered on a 3.7 (mid 30s average w/gusts into the upper 40s). I'd normally be on a 65L wave board then, but not if the holes are too frequent, the wind line hundreds of yards offshore, or the sun long set.

I owned and rode a 55 L B&J board out of curiosity, but sold it when my forearm tendons began protesting in my early 60s. At 190#, I needed steady 4.2/30 mph for it. If she's up to that Berky, she's up to 55 liters, but I don't know how necessary 55L would be at 115; I haven't been that light since the 10th grade. 65L should be more than enough, considering how well it works for me now. I can't imagine someone @ 115# wanting a wide/stubby board in strong Gorge winds unless they spend most of their time luffed and surfing the swell.

I could name some fantastic older small wave boards which grow on swap meet trees -- I'm talking incredible performers at double digit prices -- but I (and Boardseeker magazine) would be outshouted by people who actually think wide is the only way to go regardless of how strong the wind and light the rider. Their loss: In strong Gorge winds, I'd still prefer the older wave boards over the new $#!+ even if their prices were reversed. Of the dozens of boards I've studied, ridden, and/or bought over the last few years, ranging in model year from 1999 to 2010, EVERY keeper intended for strong Gorge winds was a wave board with width at or below that of my Naish ProWave 1111; FSWs, freerides, globals and other wider boards are fine for modest-to-moderate power and light chop, but when I need a 4.2 (30 mph or so) and there's chop, I want a traditional-width wave board for better comfort, control, risk-free speed, jibing, slashing, etc. while ignoring terrain.

Much depends on her objectives. Some boards and riders prefer/favor cruising even in high winds, some favor gliding down the swell, some prefer to be lit up and carving, some prefer front-foot turning while some prefer back-foot turning, etc. Bottom line: is she after high performance, comfort and ease, or both?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Small gorge board for woman, need suggestions Reply with quote

One of these could be good, and the price is right, plus you could just
pick it up in White Salmon, instead of having it shipped.

http://www.naishusa.com/products/productdetail/2008+Pro+Wave/part_number=8WWBPW/1400.0.1.1.99915.100839.0.0.0?pp=12&

-Craig

mchaco1 wrote:
My girlfriend is looking for a high wind board, her current small wind board is an old Berky Aerospoon that she has been using for over a year,her low wind floater is a 95. Not sure what size it is but its probably around 65 or smaller (best guess) she wants a smaller size but since we dont know what the old one is its hard to pick a size. She gets a naish discount so that would be greatly preferable. The problem is that the freerides stop at 70, how would a naish pro wave be in the gorge? Would there be any notable tradeoffs from a freeride (global)? Also looking for size suggestions, 64 seems good, but 55 might be better if thats a reasonable volume (she is about 115).
GarryW

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorge Surf Shop has a 63ltr Quatro single fin wave board on consignment and a brand new 69ltr Fanatic New Wave for $900.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Small gorge board for woman, need suggestions Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
One of these could be good, and the price is right, plus you could just pick it up in White Salmon, instead of having it shipped.

Yup, that's exactly the one I have. Got it at a swap in 2008 for $675 with warranty. She'll love the 65L version. It's one of the last wave boards before they trended wide for use on smooth water.
kmf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option would be a Starboard Kode 68, or an older Starboard Acid 68. I sail at Swell City frequently, and the women who sail there love these two boards. You might stop by Swell on a windy day, and talk to Brenda, the ticket lady, and ask her about them.

There is a huge difference in board feel when one weighs 50lbs lighter than another, so don't assume that just because some guy loves his stick, that your lady will love the smaller version. Try before you spend your $.

Big Winds also rents Naish, Starboard, and Quatro.

The Gorge Surf Shop will demo their 69 Fanatic New Wave.

Try before you buy.

If you are buying a board without trying it, it must be really cheap as it might not be your cup of tea, and then you have the problem of selling it. This, of course is why swap meet boards are so cheap. You can't try them out first.

KMF
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigger Spoon was 104, smaller around 88liters. Those are light wind boards for big sails, the smaller easily handling 7.0's.
As everyone said, mid 60 liter wave board is great for slashing on the swells and rippiing turns.
You might go conservative and go for mid 70 liter wave boards. That 8'2" AeroSpoon was my biggest board in the mid '90's.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
You might go conservative and go for mid 70 liter wave boards.

That's my Go-To size for good 5.2 conditions @ 190.

I wasn't aware that Berkeys came so large. The only one I've seen was tiny.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: