myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New to San Fransisco Bay Area
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

victor wrote:
Also: Keep in mind it's the fog that drives our wind machine around here.

Not March -June, when the wind is best!!!!
damel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Not March -June, when the wind is best!!!!

The best wind is in the summer (April-September) when the ocean is cold and the Basin Valley which is inland of the city heats up to the 90s. Different areas have their best months Foster City/San Mateo is best from April-July. Starting in mid July we have what is called a Marine Surge that comes in which makes for good wind at Treasure Island and the Delta. In the winter you can sail clearing winds as rain storms come through. It gets really windy but can be gusty and the wind doesn't come in like clockwork the way it does in the summer. A summer in the Bay area will really spoil you.

If you want to understand the wind around San Francisco 100% read this its long but it is the best analysis of wind in the area:
http://www.sfmx.org/support/amsc/archivedocs/Weather%20in%20the%20San%20Francisco%20Bay.pdf

damel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help myself here are the wind stats for 3rd ave channel from April-June there are a couple weeks in there that have 3 days straight hitting 30 knots. Note measurements in Knots not Mph.

SMChanWindStatsAprilToJune.JPG
 Description:
3rd Ave Channel Wind Stats for April-June 2012
 Filesize:  160.13 KB
 Viewed:  10158 Time(s)

SMChanWindStatsAprilToJune.JPG

boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewsFlash Damel, the Ocean is always cold , and Summer starts June 20. Just kidding. My point is the strongest winds of the year are in the Spring. Tomales, Crissy, Waddel, 3rd, all have strongest wind March April May, then in Summer we get the Foggy Thermals .
victor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd ave certainly has been the winner the last couple of years, at least.

Darned NW winds just won't let up, anymore. They used to not be much of a factor after the middle of June when the SW marine surge would take over and spread the wind around to some other sites.
damel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
NewsFlash Damel, the Ocean is always cold , and Summer starts June 20. Just kidding. My point is the strongest winds of the year are in the Spring. Tomales, Crissy, Waddel, 3rd, all have strongest wind March April May, then in Summer we get the Foggy Thermals .

I guess you are right summer technically starts in June but for me summer starts when I stop skiing and spring time is when you can go skiing and windsurfing in the same day which apparently lasted till July 4th last year Very Happy . May this year was insane there was a week you can see on the graphs where I could have been on a 3.5 everyday if I had one.

Hoping today is good the wind has let up for a few days so I have been cranking out work and am now itching to get out on the water thus all of the posting while I check the wind meters. Its amazing what happens when you can consistently sail 5+ days in a row. I have sailed more days this year alone than I have in my entire life... stop thinking about it and move to the bay.

boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are on to something. For me , March-April is really tough. I will be on KT in a blizzard and checking iwindsurf. Or, I'll be at Tomales in March, calling my Squaw buddies about the powder day.
naylor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care what anyone says, I used to practically live at 3rd ave. and the best winds are May THROUGH September. And are the best and most consistent winds. The spring winds can be very gusty and unreliable. In the summer if you can see fog spilling over the hills above San Mateo you can pretty much guaratee winds from Palo Alto to Candlestick. Just don't expect to be able to sail most days before 3:00.
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: