myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hatchery Parking Rant
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TBird

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Hatchery Parking Rant Reply with quote

So it's arguably one of the bigger days of the season at the Hatchery. Understandably, lots of sailors want to get in on the fun. So what sort of Jackwad rolls in with this rig? Seriously? You have to bring a frigging SEMI to go sailing at the Hatchery? And who needs that much crap to go camping?

Come on, show a little courtesy for your fellow sailors. Taking up five parking spaces (and blocking some folks in, by the way) is just rude. I hate the idea of imposing more rules, but this kind of thing sure makes me want to lobby for banning RVs from that parking lot...

IMG_0180.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.23 KB
 Viewed:  21842 Time(s)

IMG_0180.JPG

hrwindsurfing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must of voted for Obama! One size fits all. Next thing you know, they'll want to outlaw Sailworks and Northwave. We all have to be on the same crappy gear they sail on. Take a deep breath, and get over yourself.
mcterry65

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not an RV. It looks like a delivery truck. Let's ban delivery trucks from the Hatchery parking lot.
TBird

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrwindsurfing wrote:
Must of voted for Obama! One size fits all. Next thing you know, they'll want to outlaw Sailworks and Northwave. We all have to be on the same crappy gear they sail on.

Um, what?
westender

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys that like to keep all their sails rigged and ready to go, drive things like that. Get a group of a few guys on Va Ca and they think this is a cool way to fly.

???
jsampiero

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great way to fly. It's a douchey way to show up at the Hatch.

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
TBird

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Douchey, indeed. Besides, I've never understood that need to "pre-rig" gear. It takes five minutes to rig a sail. It reminds me of the pathetic guy in the ski bar who can't take the time to get out of his ski boots.
gorgekite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Does sleep in that rig not sure if he lives in it full time or just when he is sailing. He is a friend of a friend one of the origingal gorge sailers been here since the begining.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give a lot to always have my sails rigged. It would significantly increase my sailing time, my sleep time, and time spent rigging and de-rigging with my eyes full of stinging sweat. In fact, next to actually sailing, plug'n'playing pre-rigged gear is WSing's greatest pleasure for me. Over the decades it would have saved me a full MAN-YEAR of rigging/derigging effort.

Just a couple of weeks ago I got in a whole, fantastic, solo, hour of shred time I'd have missed if I hadn't been able to run ashore, pick up the same larger rig and board I had used early that morning, and get back on the river in 90 seconds after the wind backed off at sunset. I wouldn't have bothered to rig up and grab that session if it had required schlepping/rigging/de-rigging/de-schlepping all that crap on the gamble that the wind would hold 'til flat DARK. Now multiply that over decades, morning and evening, and every time the wind changes sail size throughout the day, and ya have thousands of additional hours on the water with the right sail. That's almost priceless, IMO. If I could reset the calendar by 30 years, I'd even more seriously investigate the possibilities. That light, aluminum, short, articulated Lay's Potato Chip semi I investigated in 1986 looks better with each word I type here.

Now apply that logic to a short vacation to an area where the wind can move anywhere from 20 to 150 miles once or twice a day, and you have increased TOW, not "kewl", to show for renting a serious gear carrier. As for ski boots in the lodge, I often keep my steamer, harness and rib armor on from my first session at 6 AM to my last one at dark. I see no reason to wiggle in and out of all that wet, clammy crap until I'm through sailing for the day ... unless, of course, the key word is "crap". I'm much more willing to get my tired butt back on the water if all I have to do is walk over to a pile of components, plug the right sail into the right board, and launch, rather than get out of my warm dry clothes, rig more $#!+, squirm into wet neoprene, then put on harness and armor every damned time a significant wind change or a meal gets me off the river.

Naaa, that gear truck serves a good purpose if it's for a few guys. What strikes me as infinitely more obnoxious, self-centered, and "hemorrhoidical" than that is the people who stake out several precious parking places with awnings, picnic tables, even tents in the parking lot. THAT'S almost the biggest F U in the whole sport, IMO, right up there near hucking big air into a crowd with no idea where you're coming down.
SlightlySalty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What it really comes down to is those complaining should really go out on the water more. I was there all week and didn't even notice this, oh because I was sailing and there are no big rigs allowed in the water. This take the space of two regular cars. Some people park in such a way to take the same amout of space with a regular car. Where do we live?? Oh yeah, America, land of freedom of choice.
If this stuff bothers you than go sailing. Seriously. What a bunch of complainers..... Rolling Eyes
Now I'm going over the the kiter rant. Seriously windsurfers, we are all here to have fun. Go have fun and if not then just go home and watch tv. Idea
And I've sailed the hatchery longer than probably all of you....so there. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: