myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pailolo channel crossing info.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbrock

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Pailolo channel crossing info. Reply with quote

I always considered the Pailolo channel between Molokai and Maui to be one of the great windsurfing challenges and would like to have a go at it. Can anyone give me information on how to go about getting this adventure off on the right foot? I need information regarding the best time of year to go, the equipment needed, who to contact for chartering a chase boat, conditions in the channel vs. close to the islands, getting my last will and testament set up, etc. I have been windsurfing for 22 years in all sorts of conditions and am in great shape, but training information, beyond the obvious open ocean endurance training, would also be helpful. Thank for the help.
superkraut

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go with the outriggers - you'd be in good company! http://pailolo.com/
jse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go:

http://www.molokaichallenge.com/

I think Jeffrey Henderson (Hot Sails Maui) and his wife did this on a tandem for a few years. You might check there for details as he as done it numerous times.

Steve
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Sailing Maui to Molokai Reply with quote

If you want to get a look at the channel prior to crossing, there used to be a 12 meter sail boat out of Lahaina, Maui, that would go out there. This is a few years ago, hopefully they are still in business. The windline is often out a ways and what a drastic wind line it is. You go from a few knots of wind to over twenty in about a ten foot space. It did Captain Cook in.

The skipper of the 12 meter when I took the trip was a windsurfer who lived on Maui and would windsurf over to Molokai to pick up native plants in his backpack for his wife to plant in their yard. He would make the trip both ways on a windsurfer. Cannot remember the guy's name, but possibly he is still skippering the 12 meter.
MauiMakani

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Cadiz, the owner of the HST windsurfing school on Maui, would be a good resource. He is both a windsurfer knowledgable about the crossing, and he has a large fishing boat that could be a good chase boat. Contact Alan or his wife Patti at: info@hstwindsurfing.com
tstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check with; www.mauisportsadventures.com

I think it safe to say Matt has made that crossing more times then anyone and can be considered THE expert.
Donnie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tstar wrote:
I would check with; www.mauisportsadventures.com

I think it safe to say Matt has made that crossing more times then anyone and can be considered THE expert.

Agreed and Matt has some great stories windsurf-fishing also!

The Molokai Challenge is a blast also and highly recommended and a worthy cause of giving back to the younger generation on Molokai.

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: