myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Dougs 57A problem?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hilton08

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Dougs 57A problem? Reply with quote

Hey iwindsurf,

Have you noticed the sporadic outages with the "new" Dougs 57A meter that have been happening this season?

Fortunately the old Dougs meter is still online and seems to be working fine. I'd say it gave a better picture of what I felt on the river this afternoon.

dougs old 7112.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.01 KB
 Viewed:  17521 Time(s)

dougs old 7112.gif

dougs 57A 7112.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.73 KB
 Viewed:  17522 Time(s)

dougs 57A 7112.gif

bajaguy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at Doug's the other day and folks were talking about the wind meter problem. The rumor is that a local Osprey has been using the arm of the meter as a perch at times. As the graph shows it was blowing 30+ today and suddenly it went to 1 mph...pretty weird, so the bird theory may be true. May have to send out my Panther to check it out Laughing
hilton08

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the note about the osprey on the website under "sensor notes".
If the cause of the drop outs can't be eliminated, maybe a link to the old Doug's sensor needs to be added back to the maps since it can be hard to find otherwise.
stu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

We're aware of the problem at Doug's 57A and we have new equipment headed out to the Northwest to address the problem. The anemometer was replaced last fall but the issue continued so we are replacing a couple of additional components in an attempt to bring sanity back to this sensor.

Placing sensors on navigational aids in the Gorge allows us to get some really incredible data for windsurfers / kiteboarders. Unfortunately we have to share our platforms with nesting osprey during the summer months. Each situation is a little different but ultimately they have right-of-way and can block access to our equipment.

We really, really, really want to solve problems when they pop up. We're going to do our best to solve the intermittent outages at both Doug's 57A and The Wall M40 but if we cannot access the nav-aids due to the presence of osprey then we'll have to wait until their young leave the nest.

Regards,
Stuart
bajaguy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should answer the question as to why the sensor isn't consistent. Taken this afternoon at Doug's:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also took photos of the osprey. There are the mom n dad and 1 baby. He sits right on top of the wind spinner cups

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
hilton08

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it's hard to believe he can land on that thing and hold it still in a 30mph wind. It looks like he just needs an alternate perch (that doesn't spin) above the anemometer.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched him take off and land , but not when it were 30mph

had to post this one as well

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
bmmiller

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Doug's 57A Reply with quote

Guys,

Thanks for your reconnaissance work! The plan is to replace the cup anemometer with a RM Young anemometer, which makes it very hard for birds to roost on. However, we can't perform any upgrades until osprey nesting season is over (usually in early September). This is because osprey are federally protected birds and regulations prohibit us from mounting navigational aids with active osprey nests. So, for the short-term we'll probably see the intermittent "outages" when osprey are protecting the next from the conveniently located roost. Then, sometime in September we'll upgrade the anemometer.

Sorry for this inconvenience! Lesson learned: never underestimate the osprey.
trburl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has to be the most bada@$$ technical outage reason ever.

Every time I look at the Doug's 57 A sensor now, and see it plummet to zero, I'll smile thinking of an Osprey protecting his brood, and priming to launch a hunt for fish, for the greatest death from above display in the animal kingdom, except maybe full grown 4 foot bald eagles in Alaska plucking salmon twice their weight.

Ospreys, true Gorge O.G.s.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: